Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,029   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JOBO CPE2 Processor: Is it any good?

I see them for sale now and again and I'm thinking of getting one. You folks out there who use them...what do you say? I've never done my own colour stuff before BTW so I'd be a total beginner. Has anyone got any advice?

Andrew

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes they are good, although the motor is the thing likely to go first. I had a new motor in mine 5 years ago and its OK, although I only develop sheet film. The sheet film spirals are good, but I did notice edge build up due to the film emulsion touching the spirals throughout development, so I glued a series of plastic 'pips' around the spirals to keep the emulsion side away from the spiral surface, and now my negs are remarkably evenly developed, so much so that I think it's the best way there is to develop film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew,
    Yes the Jobo gear is good and does the job. Used one for colour printing for a while and you can work at high temps OK. Would recommend you use two drums for colour printing as it makes the chore fo drying the drum out between runs easier (one drains whilst one is in use). The Jobo processors are now good value on the S/H market. I eventually sold mine and purchased a S/H Nova slot for colour.

Cheers, Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which formats and how much film do you need to process? The CPE is the smaller one right? If it is then it won't handle expert drums. Or much film either. If you want to use it for B&W it's even worse IMHO. So go up to the bigger model. CPA? Something like that. Stronger motor. Will handle 1litre of solution. Bigger tanks so the experts can be used. Used likely a similar cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they work great. You need to establish your development times for specific film developer combos as you usually need to cut development time 10% to 15% from standard agitiation methods.. I have a pair of CPE2s with the lift and never had a problem with them. I use the 1500 drums for 35, 120 and 4x5 and converted a print drum to process 8x10. I process up to 3 rolls at a time, 6 4x5s. The tanks are light tight so they can also be used for hand inversion or stand development.

for 4x5 it works very well although some people really curse the 1500 4x5 reels, they are easy to laod once you practice. 6 sheets are about as comfortable as I get using a single tray so it works for me.

I agree that the CPA has a better motor, but when i bought my first CPE2 the price difference was quite high. I bought the second CPE2 because I was told the motors wear out quickly. But mine has run steadily for about 4 years.
    One key is to keep the gears and shafts libricated with some vaseline or similar product.

I do use it for B&W but tehy were the standard for home color processing for many years.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately the CPA is quite rare in the UK so the price differential is considerable, even if you can find one. I've used a CPE-2 for about a year with the 25xx series tanks and spirals for 4x5 and 120. The 120/35mm reels are a pain to load compared to Paterson reels IMO but despite some initial awkwardness, the 4x5 reels are OK once you get used to them...

I would suggest you get the version with a lift if you can as it makes dumping and filling faster, and more controlled so you can keep times more consistent. I got my lift from a CPE-2 with a dead motor and it is a real improvement. You can buy the cog lids needed for use with a lift from Jobo.

Just don't believe the temperature markings on the dial - use a thermometer and mark it yourelf with a permanent ink pen at the temperature required...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was given a CPE2 last year and it makes film developing a lot less tedious, especially long developing fast films. I don't have a lift fitted so can't comment on that side of things. I would say if you can get one then get one. I don't think you'll regret it.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second Bob's comment that you need to calibrate the temperature dial with your own thermometer.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If getting the CPE2, be sure to get the CPE2+. It fixes some issues with the motor on the non + model.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim do you mean 2500 tanks or did Jobo make a 4x5 reel for 1500?

I keep hearing how cheap Jobo processors are in Europe I guess that's just Germany?

You don't even need the processor to use the 2500/2800 tanks. They'll roll just fine on a motorbase. A warming bath can be made to handle the chemicals. For C-41 and RA-4 the steps are short enough that the chemicals don't cool down in the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin