Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 705

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    i never understand threads like this.
    while the best form of flattery some say is imitation,
    sometimes it is good just to not try to copy someone elses style
    because often times it is impossible.

you could always call or write to the photographer/s to ask
    or instead you can just ... do your own thing ?

too many people try to chase down someone else's magic ..
    then they realize there is no magic at all

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the link. This photographer you postet batwister has a colour palette i want definitly to avoid, beaceause it is this typically ugly-lookin portra/fuji 400h rated at 400 -look you can find everywhere. This and next to it the: overexposure 2 stops - style" - and both things are in my eyes not good...the first ugly and realistic, the second more beautifull but absolut unrealistic...just my opinion...

I absolutly agree with you. There has to be a nose for colours but we are still talking about things i already know. It is for sure, that both photographer have a sesibility for building up pictures with light, colours and finally emotions

here an example for good colour sesibility you were talking about - from the first phtographer, too:
    http://www.ostkreuz.de/feature/432?f...rapher=3&fi=18 (picture no. 9 - the guy in front of his car)

In this case i exactly know, that shoting the same scene with any at the moment on the market available films, would give me not that look: strong colour AND pastellic with only deep blacks (higlights are so smooth) on a overcastet day. And everything is, like you already said batwister ,some how of naturalistic... but not the "sad/trist/puristic" and oversharped/clear way a modern provia produces, but aswell not to soft/unrealistic(in my opinion) you go with an fuji pro400/portra/reala/ektar...

Here two another examples:

http://www.ostkreuz.de/feature/432?f...rapher=3&fi=18 (second picture)
    http://www.ostkreuz.de/feature/881?f...rapher=3&fi=15 (8th picture)

So: what do i wrong or how can i find this direction?
    I will post this evening some pictures of me.

Best regards,

luke

edit: aswell i never understand posts like yours, njanian, how people can be that unconstructive: just posting to crizicze
    Last edited by Grinschus; 05-16-2013 at 02:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinschus View Post
    Thanks for the link. This photographer you postet batwister has a colour palette i want definitly to avoid, beaceause it is this typically ugly-lookin portra/fuji 400h rated at 400 -look you can find everywhere.
    Well, you've defintely got me thinking there, as I shoot Portra 400 at 400 I'm of course aware nearly every other photographer uses it, but it's not something I'm self-conscious about.

There are plenty of divergences to take in the darkroom/computer with the same source. So I don't think in terms of a 'Portra look', unless you mean Alec Soth et al. But, I'm so engrossed in Soth's pictures that I'm not thinking 'Portra... Portra, Definitely Portra.'. Even though they are like an advertisement for that film in many ways. As 'straight' as you can get.

I guess it depends where your headspace is. You think of 'colour palette' as inherent in the film, where I think of it as inherent in the photographer. The colour responsiveness of the film is incidental in my mind - you shouldn't be thinking "Well, Ektar is good with reds, so I'll shoot this scene with that. Portra is great with blues, so I'll shoot this scene with that." Or like I said in my first post, you'll just end up down the rabbit hole.

P.S. Ektar was still available at the time of this posting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinschus View Post

edit: aswell i never understand posts like yours, njanian, how people can be that unconstructive: just posting to crizicze
    suggesting you contact the people who you want to copy (as did someone else in this thread),
    and that i don't "get" people that just want to copy someone else's style instead of finding their own style ... is being unconstructive and critical ?

sorry im not going to join in your guessing-game because that is unconstructive. if you want to develop your own style
    you need to pick up a camera and some film and use it, instead of guessing endlessly about someone else's work.

if it is THAT important send the people and email...
    because (from personal experience) when people "guess" they are usually dead-wrong.
    nj

Shooter
    Medium Format
    and again - just for you: this is not thread with a topic like "is it moralistic "okay" to go after someones style" or "how can i develope my style"...
    I already said what i am interested to and that is aswell not implicating to archive this style 1:1 but to get a trace.

I already contacted the photographer but did not get an answer yet.

Anyway: it is important for me. I am a Student of photography for 5 years now and looking for answers for my personal development i could not get by testing, our professors or something else you suggest. "picking up a camera/film and use it i do for a while now", but not long enough to grew up with a generation of only-film-users and their experience, aswell in a time of an offer of 30 colour films on the market. So please, if you have something to say according to this technical thread so let me know. Otherwise...
    Thank you

@ i still shot film:

Ektar is not working in this case: the skin colours are not accurate//neutral. I checked some Ilfochrome/astia prints of our school archive and it really seems to be not far from to this. Actually the fuji emulsion (provia 100/400) do not seem to get near and is a lot of harder in graduation. Kodak e100g print i could only found in internet :/
    I think it is really a slide-film both photographer use. Maybe even pushed as i suggested, but from what i saw on the prints i could even imagine astia had a low graduation. It is a pitty i wont get the chance to try out or use this film( ebay prices are not payabe)
    Last edited by Grinschus; 05-16-2013 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    perhaps you need to read what i wrote: i don't get it ... has nothing to do with morals.

find EXPIRED film and shoot it, not fresh stuff. that is why you can't find what you are looking for.

i certainly hope you are less obnoxious to your professors.
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-16-2013 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, this is feeling more and more like a candidate for the Lounge...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin