Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,631   Online: 870

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What kind of loupe needed to evaluate negatives?

I want to look closer at my negatives to see if they are sharper than the scans. What strength loupe should I get? I know nothing about this topic. Negatives are 6 x 4.5 cm.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What would be great is portable slide viewer. I have it for 35mm and it is great, with build in loupe and light that illuminate film. I don't know is there such thing for medium format thou.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3x or 4x power loupe for 6x4.5 pr 8x for 35mm.
    High quality corrected glass loupes areca better investment than plastic designs.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I want to look closer at my negatives to see if they are sharper than the scans. What strength loupe should I get? I know nothing about this topic. Negatives are 6 x 4.5 cm.

Thanks!
    For this application I recommend a slide loupe with an enlargement factor in the 10x - 15x range.
    I am using the Schneider 10x slide loupe for this (from Schneider-Kreuznach, Germany).
    I am very satisfied with this loupe for sharpness evaluation of slides and negatives.
    It should be possible to get one in Shanghai.
    If not, go here
    http://www.greiner-photo.com/

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Schneider 4x and 6x for medium format/35mm respectively. They are noticeably better than the cheapie 8x agfa knockoffs.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    A cheap and easy answer is to use a camera lens. The lens I use is a mechanically damaged, (Stuck Diaphragm) Olympus Zuiko 35mm f2.8. I view via the front with the negative close to the back and this gives me a lot more than just a vague idea what the negative is like.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 05-17-2013 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a drapers glass.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, a camera lens is fine but a bit bulky for constant use.

I use a regular magnifying glass (I unscrewed the handle and it's just a circle encased in plastic). Keep it very, very clean on both sides and put your eye right into it, close up. And this is what I also use to judge a negative image in the enlarger baseboard, down close. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. I have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 lens. I didnt think to try that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using the Schneider 6x loupe (big one, for looking at 6x6 in all its glory). I also find I love it as my focusing loupe for my Chamonix 045N2. To me it is worth the investment, but it is pricey, at least in China. I got mine in Beijing at the Wukesong market, at the large format camera store.

I also have a cheapo 10x loupe for when I want to look very closely. And if I really want to get close I have a 50x loupe style microscope... ;-)

Oh, and one more thing: are your negatives sharper than your scans? Yes. Don't even need a loupe for that, I think I'd bet that whatever scanner you use, the negative will still be sharper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin