Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,219   Online: 872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice and fine grained. PPD developers have been used for over 100 years but are often slow in development.

A note about one shot developers with no antioxidant! Films and papers are designed for the presence of antioxidants and thus the developer is too "HOT" if the Sulfite and HAS are removed. You can get severe color contamination. In fact, in one of my experiments, my boss called the colors cyan, grape and pumpkin. Pretty bad.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Might make an excellent fine grain B&W developer though, it's worth a try. This is an area that's been neglected although Johnsons (Meritol), Agfa Atomal and May & Baker Promicrol usesimilar approaches.

Ian
    A starting point might be

Kodak Fine-grain Film Developer

US Patent 2193015

Distilled water (50°C) …………………………………………… 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) ……………………………………………… 30.0 g
    Kodak CD-3* ………………………………………………………………………… 5.0 g
    Sodium carbonate (mono) ………………………………………… 35.0 g
    Distilled water to make ………………………………………… 1.0 l

* 4-Amino-N-ethyl-N(beta-3-methane-sulphonamidoethyl)m-toluidine sulfate

Usage

Use full strength, develop for 20 minutes at 18°C.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    A starting point might be
    if you interesting - I have big collection of CD/PPD fine-grain developers

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Very nice and fine grained. PPD developers have been used for over 100 years but are often slow in development.
    this is true if you try to use PPD as single dev.agent. or in combination with other not super-additive dev.agent.
    but if you combine PPD/CD with other dev.agent in super-additive pair - you have active and fine-grain developer. such combination may be PPD+AA in Halcyon, CD-1+HQ in A49, PPD+Pyrocatechin (Meritol) in MCM-100 and other

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A note about one shot developers with no antioxidant!
    one shot color dev can be made with low amount of sulfite and without additional antioxidant like HAX, AA, HQ etc. in attach result of Superia Reala in my color dev concentrate 1+1+30 based on CD-1 and without HAS

Last edited by Relayer; 05-25-2013 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it works, use it!

I'm just telling you what might be observed if you had a side by side comparison!

Also note that the name Arnold Weissberger came up again!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, thank you so much for chiming in again , indeed Weissberger's books on heterocyclic compounds would be an excellent starting and reference point; unfortunately, I only have his Organic Solvents handbook. Was he primarily employed at EK?
    Relayer, you one-shot, no preservative approach may merit some testing, but I'll get to that in the next few days. I only shoot 35mm color films, so a fine-grain developer may not be of much use to me, maybe for some MF shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Dulgiarov View Post
    Indeed Weissberger's books on heterocyclic compounds would be an excellent starting and reference point; unfortunately, I only have his Organic Solvents handbook. Was he primarily employed at EK?
    Sure looks like it ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arnold Weissberger was a division director and had retired by the time I came to Kodak. At that time, KRL ran a series of Weissberger/Williams lectures in physics and chemistry. Arnold, through his world wide reputation, could attract the top of the line researchers to give these lectures.

He was a friend of Bohr, Heisenberg, Einstein and a whole list of others. I knew him by the way of sharing an office with his son and Arnold used to drop in to see his son. His son had an autographed photo of about 20 of these famous people on the wall over his desk.

I use the 20+ volume set to synthesize many of the chemicals I needed in grad school. The collection was a great starting point or source for making most anything organic. Many of the organics in the book were in common use at EK and were sold via Eastman Chemical.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin