Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,107   Online: 1134

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blue Moon Camera is in Portland, OR. I have used them and they are dedicated film shooters, they have optical services (both in machine prints and enlargements), as well as scan-to-print services.

Richard Photo Lab...Hollywood, CA
    I use them for events and weddings, online fulfillment for client galleries, and so on. They also do canvas and fine art prints, but I think they stopped all their optical services which makes me sad. They have a service called "ColorPac," where they do a profile for you so that the scans are consistently how you like them (i.e. warm, cool, neutral...etc), and I find this valuable for weddings.

Both labs have awesome customer service and receive orders from all over the world. BMC is seriously analog and RPL is serious about film in a digital world...IMO.

Another option...as stated above in the DIY suggestion...find a rental darkroom...printing your own stuff is an awesome way to learn how to shoot better, and save money at the same time. Plus, DIY darkroom is rewarding...I miss it.
    I also think you should post your location, as you will get lots of specific advice from folks in your area.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rayco Photo in San Francisco provides a full line of equipment for rental from developing, enlarging, to scanning. No affiliation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know where you are in the world, but LomoLab in London can do analogue prints, without scanning, so presumably they're using an enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. I am in Raleigh, NC

I guess to clarify my question, subject to finding the rare old school lab (thanks for the suggestions on these), just about all labs use scanning of some type to make prints from negative? When dip and dunk is advertised they still probably use a machine to scan to print?

Thanks for all the replies!

Shooter
    35mm
    You might try Southeastern Camera over in Carrboro, NC. I haven't been there since 1999 (it's just too far from Charlotte), but their website seems to indicate some degree of wet darkroom services such as hand-developed black-and-white film. The site says they do "machine prints" from film but doesn't specify if they are scanned or optical. They also advertise that they sell darkroom supplies and equipment. Worth a look anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Dip and dunk" refers to the processing of the film and has nothing whatsoever to do with printing.

"Machine-printing" used to mean (in UK, where I worked in a "pro" lab) that the negs were printed using a projection-printing machine which would adjust exposure based on an average of the neg brightness. There were also similar machines with a vdu that enabled manual corrections for each shot, but in that case any lab would mention "individually corrected" or something like that to indicate added value (and a higher price).

One thing you will face is that different lab operators will use different terms for the same service, and vice-versa. The only way to know what is going on is to go there and ask. For small colour enprints, the standard dev-and-print of a complete roll of film, then the scan and print system can work fine. Variations will come from the skill of the operators and the maintenance of the machines. "Best" results will be from optical enlargements on appropriate paper generally, but Lightjet RA4 prints can be impressive indeed and open up some size options which would be difficult by hand.

Shooter
    Holga
    Dear Landman

We are a Photographic shop in Pimlico London, we use a pro lab that process and print and provide a CD at the same time - 35mm to 120mm to 10x8 negatives Black and White and Colour all available. It allows you to just develop onto a CD and or have prints or slides made at the same time

Please let us know if we can help you further
    Mr Cad
    12 Upper Tachbrook Street, SW1V 1SH - 020 8684 8282

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin