Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,589   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

New member- Color, b/w and slide processing questions

Hello all, new member were excited about the vast resources of this forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

I am relearning the 35mm film world after shooting primarily digital for the last 10 years. I find I do not like the feel of digital so I am going back to my roots as a amateur (wanting to be more) film photographer. I have been a hobby film shooter since I the 80's as a teenager. I have some specific questions regarding processing film in today's world. Any help would be greatly appreciated

1) Do any pro labs do film or b/w photo processing via an enlarger or do they ALL use mini labs that if I am correct, use a scanning function then print to paper? If so have labs (pro labs) always used these machines or did they ever do projection enlargement printing to paper in the last 30 years or so?

2) Do the mini lab machines with scanners that then print to paper do any less of a job than traditional enlarger/projection print developing? If they do b/w this way, would I get better b/w prints enlarging and processing prints myself in the traditional way or do the print machines do as good of a job on b/w?

3) Do the dip and dunk processors then run the negatives through a scanning machine that prints to paper or do dip and dunk use traditional enlarger methods to make prints?

4) Is there a distinction between printing methods of pro labs, ink jet, RA-4,etc as far as quality?

I am trying to educate myself on how traditional film prints are developed these days, both color and b/w. The scanning to digital thing is the next step in my education:

I want to shoot some slides for vivid color, b/w negatives and color negatives. At this point I don't want to get into scanning myself. Are the best results from each of these mediums, in order to eventually print paper photos to do as follows:

Send slide or negative film to pro lab to process, then have THEM scan to cd at which time or later if I want prints, have the pro lab print them from the digital file? Is this the ultimate way to get the best paper prints in today's world (other than possibly developing,enlarging b/w myself)?

Sorry if any questions are redundant, just trying to understand the process today and how to achieve the best prints in each medium. I like to hold photos in my hand, not look at them on a computer.
    Last edited by landman; 05-23-2013 at 02:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most labs will develop&scan and then print from the scanned data. When a scan is made, they usually adjust the tonal range so that the whole gamut of the output medium is covered, so the results will look quite different from optical prints:
    • With b&w you lose the degrees of freedom offered by different film developers and paper, as digital prints go to standard RA4 paper. Results will look more grainy than direct optical prints in my experience.
    • With color negative film the tonal stretch/compression can save shots that are poorly exposed or have too high scene brightness, but will look a lot grainier than direct optical enlargement.
    • With slide film you don't really have the commercial option of direct optical enlargement any more (), as Ilfochrome process is more or less gone, and I have not seen internegative based enlargements offered anywhere so far. The upside is that scans generally look ok.

I use scans as fast index prints and optical enlargements for the few shots that warrant the effort.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends on where you live or are willing to ship your film to. In my area there are still full-service labs which can offer a range of options.
    But as mentioned above, going from a slide directly to a positive chemical print is an almost extinct path. Nowadays, one can go from a color
    neg directly to RA4 papers, or from either neg or chrome via scanning to either RA4 paper or inkjet. What represents better quality really
    depends on several factors, the most important probably being the competency of the lab and the quality of their equipment, upon how well
    you communicate together, and upon your individual taste, as well as the reproduction quality of your original shots. Quickie automated
    printing services might be cheap, but they can't control many variables. Pro labs can offer machine prints or contact sheets or a disc; and
    then can go back and custom print anything you find particularly desirable. But a cheap scan can give you a very misleading idea of what
    to expect. Like everything else, you're only as good as the weakest link in the chain, and you might have to experiment with different labs
    for awhile to find one you trust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

Depending on where you live there may be a darkroom that you can use. Post your location.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Welcome to APUG!

Depending on where you live there may be a darkroom that you can use. Post your location.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Welcome to APUG!

For example, if he is in the Washington DC area, I could point him to a darkroom that includes chemical, tanks and enlargers for $7/hour. Or I could show him how to use a Jobo to process color or black & white film.

Shooter
    35mm
    At least one of the forum advertisers, Blue Moon Camera, operates an optical darkroom. The link I posted is to their processing services page, which says they accept mail-order processing. I'm not affiliated with them, and I have not yet used their services.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Color services in Boston MA has full traditional BW and color printing and film processing services.
    Bill LaPete in Boston as well, has a "for rent" darkroom with all the facilities you can think of.

As for BW prints from scans - many places, among them digital silver imaging in Belmont MA, prints using a special digital laser light jet printer on to traditional BW (fiber or RC) paper. The results are amazing, considering the material originates in digital files or scans.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    Are the best results from each of these mediums, in order to eventually print paper photos to do as follows:
    Send slide or negative film to pro lab to process, then have THEM scan to cd at which time or later if I want prints, have the pro lab print them from the digital file? Is this the ultimate way to get the best paper prints in today's world (other than possibly developing,enlarging b/w myself)?
    The answer is in the body of your question - do it yourself - get the best results possible, and save some cash while you do it.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The answer is in the body of your question - do it yourself - get the best results possible, and save some cash while you do it.
    What he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin