Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,780   Online: 1065

Shooter
    35mm

[Super8] Vision3 50D

Hello All,

Has anyone shot 50D in Super8?

Was the cartridge notched? I have an Elmo Super 103 which has the typical ASA sensitivity (25/40, 40/64, 64/100, 100/160). If 50D is recognised as 40ASA it would be ideal as the recently discontinued 100D was too fast in bright sun.

Is 50D notched as a 40ASA film?

Thanks!
    Steve.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Basically one could

-) notch a virgin cassette
    -) broaden a notch in a notched assette
    -) tighten a notch in a notched cassette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have come to understand that it is notched as 40D from testimonies made on other forums.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks kuparikettu. Reading between the lines on cinematography.com I had guessed as much.

Expensive game now - I use to pay £12 for process paid Kodachrome 40, now I'm looking at £60 for a roll of 50D + processing + telecine.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Steve ,

If you will pay 100 dollars for processing and telecine , I dont know but its ultra expensive. John Nanian aka jnanian had been posted his one frame pictures on kodachrome with 8mm camera. You can take 2000 or more frames with that camera for photography. I think you can invest 100 dollars to Leicina or that switzerland made cameras and incredible colors and too much fun. I dont know you but I cant agree anymore with new 8mm films , their colors are like icecream package or rotogravure printed ambalage colors , nothing elegant.
    May be Tri X and homemade HC110 B dilution is the best for small size negative.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Umut,

It's a rich man's game and I'm not a rich man. I'm thinking about this mostly out of curiosity as I've never shot neg film in a cine camera. I am a very low level user these days - one roll per year at best. I know there's Velvia being cut down but that's not good for people shooting and there's rumours of a new Agfa film but that may be 200ASA - too fast for my camera. Back in the early '90s I found my father's Kodachrome movies from the '70s and he had footage of me learning to walk. This year I shot our boy doing the same on 100D. In years to come he may find that reel and hold it up to the light. He won't see much of interest if it had been neg film. This is probably the end of the road for Super 8 and me but I might splurge $100 for another 200 seconds of magic.
    Steve.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a about a "fast" reversal film and a grey-filter in front of the lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    Sadly my camera is non-TTL and has no exposure control.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Steve,

I understand now, what an excellent father! Do it and many times ! My childhood kodachromes are still like new and what a joy to see my mother and father were so young , handsom and beatiful.

Best wishes to your family and loved ones.
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I myself am hoping that my friend starts to offer super-8 to 16mm blowups. Then I could have the best of both worlds: negs and prints!

Is it cheap? Certainly not. But I'd say this was never a cheap hobby to begin with. Considering that it isn't really that surprising that my grandparents never owned an 8mm film camera, they only borrowed one from their friends. There is only about 30 minutes worth of film of my father's childhood and youth. That's about 2 minutes per year...

And many couldn't afford even that much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin