Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,776   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome 64 trimmed to fit Barnack Leica or?

So,

On flea market I found old Kodachrome 35mm film, so I paid 1 euro and got it just that it does not sit there in the dirt (maybe I will shoot it and develop in B&W). I opened and I see that film has longer leader, just to fit Barnack Leica. Is this made for that, or some other reason for this in kodachrome?

Interesting is also that film expired in 1977, and price was 15.90 DM (deutsche mark), developing included.

regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0131.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Interesting, as I never knew Kodachrome made films with a leader for those leicas.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many older Kodak films were cut with a "Leica" leader. In fact, I have seen newer films that had a template for the longer leader printed on the back of the instruction sheet.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    until the 70s sometime ALL film was cut with a leica leader like that. They quit when they started selling all those point and shoot cameras with auto-load that didn't need a long leader and might not even work as well with one, since they usually needed both sides of the sprocket wheel engaged to drive the film properly.

By then LTM leicas were pretty scarce, relative to the zillions of other cameras out there, and weren't a factor in the eyes of film makers. The few still using them could fix the problem with a pair of scissors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spiratone sold a nifty little metal jig to help cut the Leica leader. I have one but its easier just to eyeball it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Leitz did too. :P
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Leitz did too. :P
    and they all sucked -- i have one now and when you try to use a penknife to make the cut you end up with a jagged edge after taking two minutes to get the film properly aligned in the jig.

I just use scissors to cut it -- precision does not matter, only an approximately correct length and the final curve to the edge being smooth. Takes 2 seconds.

ct

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The shorter leader tail probably made every roll an inch shorter -- more profit for Kodak. But I think it was also part of standardizing 35mm film for autoloading cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why is the long leader needed? I remember loading a IIIa without needing to trim, but was it because I'm lucky?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What garage boy asked, I don't get it... Also...

OH is that what that's for?? My tech pan has that and I wondered why it was so long...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin