Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1115

Shooter
    35mm

Strange scratches on negatives

I went to my local lab to pick up a test roll of Kodak HD 200 from my newly refreshed Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I didn't get any prints made because the images weren't worth it, mostly just running through the gears to see what came out. When I looked at the negatives, I began seeing very faint scratching in non uniform directions, not like from processing or winding. These were faint, and in all directions, on the base layer not the emulsion side.

The lab/studio owner (40+ years in the business) was a bit perplexed as well. She kept the negatives to consult with some friends of hers about what they think it could be. Again, I don't see it being from transiting film as they don't run length wise. Also I currently don't have a pic or scan as she has the film. Any toughts? Has ayone run into this before?

-Xander

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's static electricity?

Shooter
    Large Format
    cobwebs in the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Both valid, even if humorous ideas. The scratches did not extend across the frames, and were on the base layer side. id expect either to show in the emulsion side.

-Xander

Shooter
    35mm
    Film quality control issue?

Shooter
    35mm
    Any chance of a scan of these negs so we can get a better idea?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What film was it? I have had something similar with Rollei Superpan 200.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll try to get a scan or close up pic of a frame once I get it back, the lab still has it. It was Kodak HD 200 135 film, quality could be the issue, but I have never had even super cheap film do this.

-Xander

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can't trace the problem (camera, lab, handling etc) send it back to Kodak; there could be a manufacturing problem. I've had a similar problem with another brand of film which had unexplained scratches which ran parallel in a non-linear manner on the base side (which in 120 is next to paper). I returned my negatives with a full explanation (camera, process, equipment used etc). The company was very helpful; they investigated the problem, said that they'd never encountered the specific problem but said "it could be our fault", and sent me some replacement films with some extras for good will. Mind you, I had a batch of 10 120 films worth £38 but that's not really the point; there could be more scratched film 'in the wild'. So yeh, send it back IMO.

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 06-08-2013 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin