Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,033   Online: 851

Shooter
    35mm

Unicolor or Arista Kits

Freestyle sells to color neg processing kits - Unicolor and Arista. Arista is considerably more for enough chemistry to do 8 36exp rolls (one quart) than unicolor's kit to do the same number of rolls.

Can anyone comment on whether or not arista is a better kit than unicolor? I'd just as soon get the savings, but not if there is a compromise on quality.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had great luck with the Tetenal C-41 kits. They're by far the most economical if you purchase the 5L kits and do a litre at a time. I know people have pushed the Arista kits past 8 rolls regularly.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had good luck with UniColor. You can develop more rolls than the packaging suggests.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think i'll try the tetanol. I like the idea that its a powder. I'm assuming that i could repackage half the powder and only mix half at a time for when i have fewer rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianentz View Post
    I think i'll try the tetanol. I like the idea that its a powder. I'm assuming that i could repackage half the powder and only mix half at a time for when i have fewer rolls.
    Mixing up partial batches is usually a bad idea with powder chemistry. You have no way of ensuring the uniformity of the powder, which is likely to be made up of a number of different dry components, packaged together.

The result is likely to be inconsistency from developing batch to batch.

You can do this with liquid chemicals.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tetenal kit, atleast sold by Freestyle, is liquid.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I am in the process of using the unicolor kit from Freestyle and haven't had any problems thus far. Though I would like to try a kit without blix, it seems that's not happening at present.

Shooter
    35mm

Half a kit

Tetanol from B&H is in powder form. If I wanted to get a small kit and develop only half at a time would liquid or powder be better. Would half a bottle unmixed with water last longer than mixed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Unicolor for up to 12 C-41 rolls.
    I have not used Arista nor Tenanol kits.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin