Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,744   Online: 906

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

cant seem to expose Pro400h consistently

Hi all. I have been shooting Pro400h recently as a change from portra 400. I have been using it with my Nikon F5. I have rated it at ISO200 and spotmeter off peoples faces (forehead or cheek) and place this in zone V-VII according to how bright it is -using the F5 spot function. Id say 10% of the time the exposures look perfect, 50% of the time they look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img325.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	71048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img302.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	71049

these are straight scans from negs I developed. I am sure this is an exposure issue as I have had perfect exposures off the same roll. Here is one from the same roll:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img349small.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	71050

I cant use matrix metering as I am not using auto focus lenses, plus I should really know better! Any comments on how I can meter more reliably would be great! Thanks Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to meter for the shadows but then you still need to attend to skin tone exposure. I'm not sure why you're exposing the film for ISO 200?, 320 should be enough of a margin. Secondly, the Kodak Portra films are excellent so is there a reason for the switch to Fuji 400H?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I tend to meter for the shadows but then you still need to attend to skin tone exposure. I'm not sure why you're exposing the film for ISO 200?, 320 should be enough of a margin. Secondly, the Kodak Portra films are excellent so is there a reason for the switch to Fuji 400H?

Tom
    Hi Tom, for reading up around the web it seems to be safer to over expose, plus I prefer the washed-out colours like this. Can you explain to me how you meter for the shadows? Thanks Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul,

I use mostly B&W negative film but have exposed plenty of colour negative film and find the C-41 process is more forgiving. Based on a vague approximation; trying finding the darkest area you want detail in and reduce the exposure given by two stops relative to the meter. e.g. meter gives f/8 1/125 aimed at shadow area, so you expose f/8 1/500...

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Seems to me that you're comparing apples to oranges a bit. The "good" photo was shot what appears to be late afternoon sunlight (hence the shadows), while the first two were shot in less contrasty light. They look rather flat because the light was rather flat, perhaps. I'm not sure your exposures are far off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Seems to me that you're comparing apples to oranges a bit. The "good" photo was shot what appears to be late afternoon sunlight (hence the shadows), while the first two were shot in less contrasty light. They look rather flat because the light was rather flat, perhaps. I'm not sure your exposures are far off.
    I agree, the first two were taken in cooler shadow. You can either fix the white balance in software or using filters on the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like to shoot such films at ASA 200 also, however I wonder if your spot meter on pale skin is still causing just a little underexposure? If you're scanning though, you can alter the hue very easily. Otherwise I don't think you have anything to worry about with these shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot loads of 400 H, I rate it at the box speed of ISO 400 and use an incidental light meter reading, the exposures are perfect every time.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Hi Trask, these were all shot with 5 mins of each other. The light appeared consistent at the time....!?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I shoot loads of 400 H, I rate it at the box speed of ISO 400 and use an incidental light meter reading, the exposures are perfect every time.
    Hi Benjiboy, could you post some unedited examples please? I would love to see them to give me some reference. cheers Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin