Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,837   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oops - Athiril - of course you are correct - disregard the last post!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is it necessary to expose the film to light after rehal bleach?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I just got some interesting results. I shot some Vision2 250D film. I always modify the ECN-2 developer to use 5.2 mg/L CD3 instead of 4mg. Also, I use Calgon instead of Kodak AntiCal #4 as the latter is only available in huge quantities

This time I developed the film for 4 minutes at 106 deg F, then did the rehalogenation thing, redeveloping for another 4 minutes.

Printing the results on Ektocolor Edge, the colors were dead on accurate, with no detectable crossover, and contrast was almost to where I wanted it. (I also modified my RA4 homebrew to use 6mg/L CD3 instead of 5mg). The addition of 2ml/L hydrogen peroxide give an excellent result.

A couple of observations: The pictures are razor sharp; the redevelopment must do something to increase sharpness. But there is enhanced grain, especially in the blue color. I'm not sure if much can be done about that.

I'll probably fine tune the contrast with H202 some more, but all in all, I really like the rehalogenation/redevelopment technique where ECN-2 film is to be shot for RA4 printing rather than scanning.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    Well I just got some interesting results. I shot some Vision2 250D film. I always modify the ECN-2 developer to use 5.2 mg/L CD3 instead of 4mg. Also, I use Calgon instead of Kodak AntiCal #4 as the latter is only available in huge quantities

This time I developed the film for 4 minutes at 106 deg F, then did the rehalogenation thing, redeveloping for another 4 minutes.

Printing the results on Ektocolor Edge, the colors were dead on accurate, with no detectable crossover, and contrast was almost to where I wanted it. (I also modified my RA4 homebrew to use 6mg/L CD3 instead of 5mg). The addition of 2ml/L hydrogen peroxide give an excellent result.

A couple of observations: The pictures are razor sharp; the redevelopment must do something to increase sharpness. But there is enhanced grain, especially in the blue color. I'm not sure if much can be done about that.

I'll probably fine tune the contrast with H202 some more, but all in all, I really like the rehalogenation/redevelopment technique where ECN-2 film is to be shot for RA4 printing rather than scanning.
    Are you able to scan them too? can we see a straight scan result vs a print result of the same image? I'm about to do my first run on the ECN-2 shot with an amber flash to compensate for the Tungsten (mine is 500T) and JUST today got in my 85B filter, so I'm going to go through another roll today/tomorrow and develop both, but before I do, I would like to hear advice on the full process, all the chems etc. I don't mean to be greedy since you seem to have done the legwork, but I also can't fiddle too much on my budget haha.

Thanks.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Stone:

Basically I normally use Kodak's formula for ECN-2 but (1) use some sodium hexametaphospate (I can tell you how much tomorrow) instead of the Kodak anti-cal, and I up the CD3 to 5.2 mg/L. I use C41 bleach or use the Kodak formula for the ferricyanide bleach. Stop bath - if you really want to use sulfuric acid you can mix from battery acid (from Autozone), but I find that white vinegar mixed 50-50 with water does just fine. C41 fixer seems fine. I'm sure some here will castigate me for this anecdotal advice. Negatives straight processed this way on up-to-date ECN-2 stock (such as Vision2 or Vision3 or Eterna) scan exceptionally well, subject to contrast adjustment on the computer; at least as well as Portra and maybe even better.

I haven't scanned the double-developed negatives yet. They are in my darkroom downtown -- I'll bring them home tomorrow and scan some. If you want to see some scans of regularly processed ECN-2, let me know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Stone:

Basically I normally use Kodak's formula for ECN-2 but (1) use some sodium hexametaphospate (I can tell you how much tomorrow) instead of the Kodak anti-cal, and I up the CD3 to 5.2 mg/L. I use C41 bleach or use the Kodak formula for the ferricyanide bleach. Stop bath - if you really want to use sulfuric acid you can mix from battery acid (from Autozone), but I find that white vinegar mixed 50-50 with water does just fine. C41 fixer seems fine. I'm sure some here will castigate me for this anecdotal advice. Negatives straight processed this way on up-to-date ECN-2 stock (such as Vision2 or Vision3 or Eterna) scan exceptionally well, subject to contrast adjustment on the computer; at least as well as Portra and maybe even better.

I haven't scanned the double-developed negatives yet. They are in my darkroom downtown -- I'll bring them home tomorrow and scan some. If you want to see some scans of regularly processed ECN-2, let me know.
    Yes an example of each in similar light situations and similar scene would be great, I know that's not always possible but it's a start
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

More contrast = higher MTF response.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Athiril: forgive my ignorance: What is MTF response?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Athiril: forgive my ignorance: What is MTF response?
    Modulation Transfer Function for a given spatial frequency.

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF.html
    http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF1A.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin