Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,660   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Higher Contrast C41 or ECN-2 developer?

We have been discussing on another thread tweaks to an RA4 formula, and it has been established that reducing the amount of sodium sulfite and/or increasing carbonate can increase contrast in a print.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with similar adjustments to alter contrast in C41 developing? I'm most interested to know if similar tweaks could cause an ECN-2 negative to develop with higher than normal contrast, without significant crossover, to assist in the normal printing thereof. For example, if I could up the negative contrast a bit, and up the printing contrast a bit, I could end up with a good print result. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can adjust contrast via development time, e.g. plus or minus 30s for about a stop push/pull. 1 stop pull on C41 makes it easier to print portraits on modern (high contrast) papers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Push developing would make an overly dense negative, unless I under-exposed, which I doubt would be optimal, but maybe worth a try.

I was wondering what is the effect of re-developing after bleaching - so dev, stop, bleach, re-dev, bleach, fix. Also, is the normal C41/ECN2 bleach a rehalogenating bleach? Anyone? PE perhaps?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I was wondering what is the effect of re-developing after bleaching - so dev, stop, bleach, re-dev, bleach, fix. Also, is the normal C41/ECN2 bleach a rehalogenating bleach? Anyone? PE perhaps?
    What you're referring to is "rehal", after the rehalogenating bleach required to do this. It results in increased saturation as long as you bleach out the silver at the end. There's an old thread here which talks about rehal for doing partial bleach-bypass.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes -- do you know if standard C41 bleach is rehalogenating? Or would I need to use say a potassium ferricyanide bleach with potassium bromide?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw the old thread - seems I would use the ferri bleach with pot. Bromide. But in addition to increasing color saturation, would a second development also increase contrast?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK well I guess that will be my experiment for tomorrow!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want to 'double develop', it'd be developer, stop, rinse, fix, wash, ferri bleach, wash well (or sulfite bath then wash), develop, bleach, fix, wash, etc.

I added extra KBr to my C-41, to increase developing time while losing film speed at the same time, so I could 'pull' without lowering the contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Athiril, putting the fix ahead of the bleach, what is there left to redevelop? I thought it was develop, stop, rinse, ferri bleach, wash well, develop, bleach, fix etc. I.e, no fix until after re-develop. I thought the aim is to rehalogenate the silver produced in the first develop, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin