Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,337   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-22 recipe?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

C-22 recipe?

Anyone have this on hand? Not turning up much in google.

Have a roll of Kodacolor-X I'd like to process by hand.

edit:
    Strangely enough I just found one on ehow of all places
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4673066_develop-film.html

The only thing I don't have on hand atm is benzyl alcohol. That is supposed to amplify the dye image right? So I'm guessing underdeveloped without that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In C-22 process emulsions the color couplers are contained in resin beads in the emulsion. This prevents them from migrating. The benzyl alcohol acts as a solvent for the developing agent to enter the beads. The resin beads cause the distinctive milky appearance of these films during development. Benzyl alcohol is only sparingly soluble in water making the developer a pain to mix.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

C-22 recipe?

I read somewhere you can process the film as a black and white but don't run it through the fix. Mix the bleach and fix up for the C-22 process and finish processing the film that way. The website that had this tip on it has gone away and I haven't tried it myself but it might be better than mixing solutions that will just sit and go bad. Or you can process it as a B&W neg and scan and remove the orange mask digitally.

Doug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a C22 recipe, I can dig it out tomorrow when I'm at my building. It's an unofficial recipe from the long since defunct Rayco Chemical in England.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The process shown in your reference should work fine. Benzyl alcohol is available from Photographers' Formulary and other sources, but it is pretty expensive. It is also necessary for C-22. For reference, here is the official Kodak formula for the developer:

C-22 developer
    This is quoted in the reference as the official Kodak formula for C-22 developer.
    Water 800 ml
    Benzyl alcohol 5 ml
    Foamex 0.01ml (anti-foam agent)
    Calgon 2.5 g (sodium hexametaphosphate)
    Sodium sulfite 1.85g
    Sodium bromide 1.4 g
    Potassium iodide 0.5 mg (500 micrograms)
    Borax (decahydrate) 58.8 g
    Sodium hydroxide 12.5 g
    CD-3 5 g
    Water to make 1 l
    pH at 75F = 10.7
    Develop the old Kodacolor (C-22 process) about 13 minutes at 75F.
    Ref: Dignan Photographic Newsletter, January 1974

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The development time is 14 minutes at 75F.

All Kodak color products use oil dispersed couplers. In C22, the CD3 was less active and the couplers were older versions. In C41, the CD4 is much more reactive and the couplers are as well. No BZA is needed in either C41 or RA4 due to the coupler activity.

Benzyl Alcohol increases image spread and reduces sharpness. That is one reason why it has been removed from C41.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For what it's worth I've also seen (but not tried myself) good results from someone who processed it in C-41 but presoak 3 minutes then C-41 dev at B&W temperatures, for 20 minutes. The images I saw seemed really good. I haven't tried this...

I have done B&W though, that's easy, stand develop in Rodinal 1:100 for one hour. Stop and fix as normal.

EDIT: for B&W processing the film should be shot roughly EI -2 so if its 100ASA film assume you should shoot it at 25ASA. Etc.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    For what it's worth I've also seen (but not tried myself) good results from someone who processed it in C-41 but presoak 3 minutes then C-41 dev at B&W temperatures, for 20 minutes. The images I saw seemed really good. I haven't tried this...
    And let me guess: these negs were scanned, not enlarged optically, yes ?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    And let me guess: these negs were scanned, not enlarged optically, yes ?
    The B&W yes, the strange C-41 variant, I can't recall.. Sorry.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The B&W yes, the strange C-41 variant, I can't recall.. Sorry.
    If you develop these negs as b&w negs, color crossover is hardly an issue. If you do the full C41 process, you need to balance three color layers in lock step, which, according to those who tested this with control strips, can only be done at 38°C/100°F but not at room temperature. If you go the hybrid route, digital post processing software can restore the correct colors and often does it automatically, so you'll never notice that your C41 negs weren't developed correctly. You will notice it, though, once you try to enlarge optically, since you can't adjust contrast of individual color layers that way.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin