Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Portra 160 Real world EI?

My son is going on a hike tomorrow with a few rolls of Portra 160 and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I've never used it; is 160 good or might 125 be "safer"?

thanks,

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both.

It does fine at 160 and you will have no problem shooting it at 125. In the latter case, it's a bit of insurance against poor metering technique.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like 125 too. A little underexposure and you're cooked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a moderate contrast film that withstands both moderate underexposure and significant over-exposure quite well.

So to be safe, and assuming there may be some scenes with higher contrast, I would recommend rating it at 100.

If your son has really good metering technique, 160 works well too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    160. It was still quite good underexposed when the light faded on me and I had no choice the very first time I used it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You do realize that the difference between 160 and 125 is something on the order of 1/3 stop? You'll NEVER see that difference. 160 vs 100 is still only 2/3 stop. But as others have mentioned, Portra 160 is a very forgiving film. He'll get exposures he's very happy with unless his Yashica's meter is tragically, intergalactically out of calibration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tend to shoot 160 speed films (either Portra or Fujifilm) at 100, but I think in reality, you could shoot either at ASA 25 and they'd still look great, those films are extremely tolerant of overexposure, but barely at all tolerant of under exposure. I just err on the side of going way over if I'm shooting without a meter, or a bit over if I am using a meter.

Going 1, 2 or even 3 stops over still results in perfectly fine negatives in my experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin