Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,282   Online: 702

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karrlander View Post
    I know, but I can't put that much money in a scanner. I dont get paid for my film shooting, the DSLR stands for the income. Someday maybe I can get one but for now I have to do with the second best.
    You could always use the medium format route for income as well. May be a bit of a chicken before the egg but surely you could sell some other stuff to generate funds? The Epson would be a sunk cost you could be using for a Plustek or Coolscan.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You could always use the medium format route for income as well. May be a bit of a chicken before the egg but surely you could sell some other stuff to generate funds? The Epson would be a sunk cost you could be using for a Plustek or Coolscan.
    If only that was true! But as a full time crime scene photographer working for the swedish police I have a hard time so see where my analouge fetish would fit in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karrlander View Post
    If only that was true! But as a full time crime scene photographer working for the swedish police I have a hard time so see where my analouge fetish would fit in.
    oooh, gritty

I take it you're not allowed to use images from work (without any personal or identifying details) for personal artistic purposes? You have the access to put together the most fantastic gallery show.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    oooh, gritty

I take it you're not allowed to use images from work (without any personal or identifying details) for personal artistic purposes? You have the access to put together the most fantastic gallery show.
    Well, maybe I have a couple of nice ones. But most of the time it's not that fancy, more technical with special lightning, fluorescens, IR/UV and stuff like that. And a lot of exact and detailed documentation.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You will be disappointed with any of those flatbed scanners. I hate to break it to you, but unfortunately you will only be truly satisfied using a dedicated film scanner.

Now you're going to hear from a bunch of people who will tell you they get great results with the Epson, etc. through various games they play with the scanner, but it's a far cry from a 4000 dpi medium format capable scanner (which will also do 135 format). Plan on 2k$ budget.

Amusingly though, if you scan 5x7 and 8x10 prints on a v500 or v700 it'll do pretty good - but that's because they've already had the hard work done for them ahead of time. Don't fall into the flatbed scanner trap - they're severely lacking.
    You make it sound hopeless. For the price, a flatbed scanner (I have the Epson V500) will give consistent and acceptable results. No, you're not going to squeeze every grain of silver out of your film with a $200 appliance, but for medium sized web images or small prints, they do a respectable job.

That said, I've mostly given up scanning in favor of color printing anyway. Still I rely heavily on my flatbed scanner; it lets me scan a roll of film quickly and review the frames for composition, sharpness, density, etc. The results are good enough to help me decide what I want to enlarge.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've made some absolutely beautiful prints from my flatbed up to 30 inches across with no issues ...

And the 12x12's are certainly sharp as hell

This is a not under glass example, on D3200 speed film had held...

I call that one ^^^ "more cowbell" hehe (Saturday night love reference if you didn't get it).

But as you can see there's really sharp edges with no kind of edge blur / fuzzyness you would get out of a bad scan, and scanned at 3200 I believe. For most applications 2400 is fine for the v750 but I like to ere on the side of caution and scan at the highest acceptable resolution in case I decide to print bigger.

Anyway, flatbeds aren't so bad.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I took some time to really get into my "scan" to see if that would be the problem as polyglot suggested and I think I start to find my way to all the nobs and buttons. This is what I ended up with and theres not much work done with it after the neg conversion. I used my DSLR for "scanning" with a Tominon 105mm on a bellow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4795.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	71631

Now I just have to learn to take sharp pics of myself using the self timer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A definite improvement. However the contrast is very high, probably because you've effectively "pushed" the film in the post-processing stage by stretching the smaller available density range out to match the brightness range of a jpeg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    A definite improvement. However the contrast is very high, probably because you've effectively "pushed" the film in the post-processing stage by stretching the smaller available density range out to match the brightness range of a jpeg.
    Yes it is. It's not the best example but from the beginning that was the pic where my problems was most visible. Here is another one from the same roll treated the same way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4798.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	482.6 KB 
ID:	71648

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin