Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,845   Online: 994

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Welcome to APUG
    Thank you!

And thanks everyone for all the help!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I ha one more thought, could it also be vignetting from the taking lens of the DSLR? It worse double vignette from the combination of original lens and second taking lens for the "scan"?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I ha one more thought, could it also be vignetting from the taking lens of the DSLR? It worse double vignette from the combination of original lens and second taking lens for the "scan"?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    It could. But I have tried different lenses with exact the same result so I don't think so. I have also tried a setup that gave me horrible vignetting. I think that I had two problems to start with. First there was some dev error and when I think I got that sorted out this scanning error showed up (was kind of hidden behind the dev error) and both of them did strange things to the edges of my pics. But with the last developed roll and a better job done with the scanning the results starts to look the way I think it should. Next roll will tell me if I'm on the right track.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reason I pointed out the fluid capacity as a concern is that I've seen a similar thing happen with 135 film in stainless tanks. If they're "topped up" if you will, there isn't enough airspace for the liquid to displace and you get uneven development along the edges. I can't remember if it was the long edge or the short edge though. However, this may not apply to you if you're using a different tank setup with some kind of stirring rod which will effectively force the reel around.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The reason I pointed out the fluid capacity as a concern is that I've seen a similar thing happen with 135 film in stainless tanks. If they're "topped up" if you will, there isn't enough airspace for the liquid to displace and you get uneven development along the edges. I can't remember if it was the long edge or the short edge though. However, this may not apply to you if you're using a different tank setup with some kind of stirring rod which will effectively force the reel around.
    And it was something I haven't thought about so a good point indeed. So I checked and there was some space left in the top. But now i have a one more tool in the box when I run into future problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's got to be all space left in the top. You want the developer to only just cover the spirals if you're doing inversion agitation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    There's got to be all space left in the top. You want the developer to only just cover the spirals if you're doing inversion agitation.
    Ok, I better recheck that. But to get some reference I'm planning to send away a roll to get it developed and scanned by a good lab. I'll take a brake with this untill I've got the result back from them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karrlander View Post
    Ok, I better recheck that. But to get some reference I'm planning to send away a roll to get it developed and scanned by a good lab. I'll take a brake with this untill I've got the result back from them.
    From those scans, I don't think you have a development problem. You should consider continuous agitation instead of the classic 10s/minute arrangement, but they don't look uneven or otherwise problematic in the chemistry department. It looks like you've got your scanning black-point sorted better now, so I reckon with about one stop more exposure you will be getting wonderful results. Don't give up on your process now!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    From those scans, I don't think you have a development problem. You should consider continuous agitation instead of the classic 10s/minute arrangement, but they don't look uneven or otherwise problematic in the chemistry department. It looks like you've got your scanning black-point sorted better now, so I reckon with about one stop more exposure you will be getting wonderful results. Don't give up on your process now!
    Giving up is not an option! But I have developed another roll now and I still have some magenta/purple things on the sides. I'm pretty sure it's on the negs. I don't think I have got that on every roll so that problem together with bad scanning made it hard for me to sort it out. Anyway, a scanner is ordered and with some reference material from a pro lab I think I might be able to pinpoint the error better. I'll be back!

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as scanning for analysis, you should try scanning an entire film strip, not just a single frame.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin