Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,286   Online: 1198

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This was mentioned on another thread and I just thought of it, I don't know your camera but it was mentioned they with cameras that have leaf shutters, if you exceed the shutter speed, rather than see part of the frame completely black, you get a sort of underexposed center brighter image because the leaf shutter in the lens hasn't finished opening yet. Could this be what happened? Was the shutter speed too fast for the x-sync?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could have been but no. It's a Mamiya 645 AFD II (no leaf shutter) correctly put in X-mode. And I had the same problem more or less on the outdoor shots on the rolls I developed myself. But thanks for all the tips. I put it in my mental toolbox for future use!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Really? The Mamiya 645 isn't a leaf shutter? Well that's news to me, hmm interesting. Good luck

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This was mentioned on another thread and I just thought of it, I don't know your camera but it was mentioned they with cameras that have leaf shutters, if you exceed the shutter speed, rather than see part of the frame completely black, you get a sort of underexposed center brighter image because the leaf shutter in the lens hasn't finished opening yet. Could this be what happened? Was the shutter speed too fast for the x-sync?

Just another thing to consider.

Not quite right Stone

If the synch doesn't match, and the leaf shutter is only part way open when the flash goes off, the film is evenly exposed, but the shutter will perform like a second aperture and potentially reduce the brightness of the light that hits the film.

Sort of the same effect as changing from f/5.6 to f/11.

And the Mamiya 645 line cameras have focal plane shutters. There are a couple of specialized leaf shutter lenses you can use with them, but most of the systems lenses don't have a shutter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Not quite right Stone

If the synch doesn't match, and the leaf shutter is only part way open when the flash goes off, the film is evenly exposed, but the shutter will perform like a second aperture and potentially reduce the brightness of the light that hits the film.

Sort of the same effect as changing from f/5.6 to f/11.

And the Mamiya 645 line cameras have focal plane shutters. There are a couple of specialized leaf shutter lenses you can use with them, but most of the systems lenses don't have a shutter.
    Whoops... *embarrassed* I knew that too haha why do I even bother talking...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin