Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,484   Online: 857

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm of the opinion that Maco, Rollei, Lomo, etc. is all AGFA film. I see PET base, quasi-surveillance/aero looking films, etc. and I immediately think AGFA.

So I'm going with Agfa-Gevaert - and if I'm right, you all need to pay me 20$ each.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to chuck a curve ball in there, what about Ferrania? They ceased production a while ago but have recently indicated that they will be starting again. I wonder if they are being bankrolled by Lomography? All of Lomography's colour negative used to be made by them and when they launched the lomochrome film they said they had access to a new production facility. I thought this would be in China but maybe they are bringing Ferrania back on line.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenhause View Post
    I am beginning to wonder now about Maco/Rollei, they had the largest selection of 127 film, there was Rollei Retro80's, Xpro-200, Rollei Cross Bird, Rollei Night bird, Rollei Infrared B&W. Now we have barely just two Maco/Rollei 127 films for sale, I wonder if they stopped making 127 or did they just ship various 46mm types of film off to EFKE for finishing and packing, perhaps an inquiry directly to Maco/Rollei regarding their 127 film program is in order.
    Maco do not have own production facilities.

Shooter
    35mm
    With regard to the availability of 127 film, the only people currently "making" it are the Frugal Photographer. See:-

http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat127.htm

What they or their associates appear to be doing is using existing colour films (presumably by Kodak or Fuji) and spooling them in 127 size, using backing papers & spools manufactured by or for them. They don't seem to be the Efke type spools (judging by photographs) but not having bought any, I can't be sure. There are currently three different films but no black & white. The price isn't cheap and postage from the US has to be added.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got word from Georg Thaler from Lomography, Georg is in charge of film procurement for Lomography.

The new Lomochrome Purple 400 is designed for ease of processing at your normal C-41 labs.

I know which type of film base it has and Georg has asked me where I would like to show some newer test shots of the Lomochrome Purple 400.

I am awaiting to hear back from Georg to see if he is OK with me posting some newer test shots and if he is OK with me commenting on which type of film base the film is coated on, so far Agfa Belgium does not look like they made the film IMO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Maco do not have own production facilities.
    Maco does cut and package 35mm and 120 film, Yes? or No?

Maco does not coat film emulsions, Yes? or No?

Is Ferannia back up and running and making film?

Agfa Belgium is the main supplier of film for Maco right? Do they supply large rolls to be cut and packaged into 35mm and 120?

Wittner-Cinetec definately cuts down large rolls of Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200 into movie film and 35mm.

In what form of large rolls are supplied by Agfa Belgium for Maco to sell? Does Agfa Belgium supply large rolls of 35mm and 120 film to be packaged by others?

Cutting, perforating 35mm film is not that rare, in fact in Oxnard, California Ultrafineonline can peforate 35mm film and package it into 35mm cartridges, Adox is capable of cutting and packaging 120 film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
    Just to chuck a curve ball in there, what about Ferrania? They ceased production a while ago but have recently indicated that they will be starting again. I wonder if they are being bankrolled by Lomography? All of Lomography's colour negative used to be made by them and when they launched the lomochrome film they said they had access to a new production facility. I thought this would be in China but maybe they are bringing Ferrania back on line.
    The Folks from lomography have definately indicated that the Lomochrome Purple 400 is indeed made in Europe.

Hence we are left with Possibly Agfa, Belgium (Doubtful), Adox, InnovisCoat, Ferrania is a good possibility, perhaps the Lomography people have made it worth their time and effort, time to thrash about on Google to look for news about Ferrania.....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maco does cut and package 35mm and 120 film, Yes? or No?
    No. They have it done.

Maco does not coat film emulsions, Yes? or No?
    No. They buy existing stock from film manufacturers. At some cases they argue to have been involved in getting that film into existance.

Is Ferannia back up and running and making film?
    So far there is no proof of this. But only a statement of intention by one person.

Agfa Belgium is the main supplier of film for Maco right? Do they supply large rolls to be cut and packaged into 35mm and 120?
    Most of their films are from Agfa. (By the way, there is only one Agfa, the same as years before. Just without a consumer-film branch anymore.) The way they are supplied by them is not made public.

Wittner-Cinetec definately cuts down large rolls of Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200 into movie film and 35mm.
    In what form of large rolls are supplied by Agfa Belgium for Maco to sell? Does Agfa Belgium supply large rolls of 35mm and 120 film to be packaged by others?
    The way they are supplied by them is not made public.

Cutting, perforating 35mm film is not that rare, in fact in Oxnard, California Ultrafineonline can peforate 35mm film and package it into 35mm cartridges, Adox is capable of cutting and packaging 120 film.
    There are several companies doing conversions to 35mm. There are different perforations though. Some of them would do toll-conversions.
    Conversion facilities for other formats are much more rare.

Maco / Rollei-Films are basically a office and a warehouse. They are manufactures in the sense of having things done by others as indicated above. Their incentive is mostly on the field of converting non-consumer films to consumer-usable and marketing them.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-23-2013 at 03:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New Film Coming from Ferrania:

"Hello and welcome to this mailing list.
    Just a few words to thank everybody who subscribed, although no more than a single brand is shown at the moment on the Ferrania home page.

We think it is worth answering some questions that often arise on the discussion boards we are also following.

As you know, Ferrania discontinued its photographic products some years ago and after that some buildings and equipments were dismantled or sold because the destiny of film seemed to be compromised forever after introduction of digital. Obviously we dream to put the film in a new era where it can live in symbiosis with digital imaging technologies.

After more than one year of work, we are finally trying to start again with a small production of film. But rescaling a production workflow is not an easy process: some chemical products are not available anymore on the market, former Ferrania workers and engineers must be involved again in a completely new production workflow, etc.

We worked a lot on many of the above issues and now we are proud to say that the moment is arrived of really making film.

Right now there is a six month R&D project aiming to produce a first Jumbo of film. If during this period we are able to solve all the remaining technical issues and if the market gives us a reasonable preliminary feedback, we will be ready to go ahead and ship new film in the first quarter of 2014!

Ok, now the question is: what kind of film?
    We think it is better to start revamping the very last produced emulsions. The first two that we will make are a color negative film derived from Ferrania Solaris FG-100 Plus (only for still photographs) and a professional color reversal film derived from Scotch Chrome 100.

And which formats?
    We have the equipment to finish film in almost all photographic and motion picture formats: 110, 120, 126, 127, 135, 220, Super 8, Double 8, 16mm, 35mm and 70mm but at first we will put on line only the ones that are requested by the market.

More details are coming, please continue to follow us!

Cheers

The FILM Ferrania team
    Copyright © 2013 FILM Ferrania s.r.l., All rights reserved.
    You are receiving this mail because you asked for news at our website. Thanks for the interest!

Our mailing address is:
    FILM Ferrania s.r.l.
    Viale della Libertà, 57
    Ferrania - Cairo Montenotte, SV 17014
    Italy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New Images from the folks at Lomography, Some unseen test shots of the new Lomochrome Purple 400 film.

Many Thanks to Georg Thaler at Lomography!

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2909_12.jpg   755503.jpg   lomochrome_003.jpg   R1-33.jpg   R1-37.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin