Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,337   Online: 966

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    Thank you. If you want Rodinal made acording to the genuine Agfa recipe from 2005 this is your best/only choice.
    After the stop of production in Vaihingen all other developers sold today come from various factories and are clones which are more or less close but only ours is identical. This is not comunicated well and whatīs being written is not totally off because at the time of publication (sometimes mre than 3 years back) they really were identical (as long as they came from Vaihingen).
    Btw. we plan to reintroduce the brand name Rodinal in the US market.

Mirko
    Oh really? So the information that the "Compard R09", "Fomadon R09" and Adonal are made at the same chemical plant and that they are just labeled with different labels is NOT true?

Also, glad to hear about the name, Will you introduce the old glass bottles as well (even if a limited edition bottle for us sentimental fools) once it's called Rodinal again?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mirko. Maybe you should start a new thread on the topic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    None of the above companies have purchased any equipment from Efke.

Inoviscoat is not interested in becoming again what they emerged from. They want to run their coating and develop new products to be coated, ideally not from the photographic field. Most of their photographic products are converted and sold by us. Some specialty products are also coated for other customers.

We (ADOX) are by now a full converting company capable of converting film in Super8, 35mm, 120 and sheetfilms as well as paper and chemistry.
    We can also produce photographic chemistry, emulsions and do sample coatings.
    Link:http://www.adox.de/english/styled-10/index.html

No, they donīt.

Mirko
    Wow! Good to see our fine photographic manufacturers are clearing up some of the speculations, I have been most enthused about ADOX and look forward to many more fine products in the future.

Does ADOX produce color film as well as B&W?

I wonder if ADOX is the company that cuts down and packages AGFA aviation films for our two favorite brands?

At this point it is becoming a bit more obvious who is making the Lomochrome Purple 400 film.

looks like ADOX and the returning Ferrania have definately stated their exact film cutting and packaging capabilities which is good to know.

Will ADOX produce some 127 film in the near future?

Many Thanks Mirko, lots of mysteries solved.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does ADOX produce color film as well as B&W?
    Itīs a question of definition. We slit, perforate, signate, spool, package, label and QC color film but currently have no plans to work on color emulsions ourselves.
    By standard business definition we are a manufacturer of color films because we treat a preproduct to a kind that it is transforemd into a new product with substantually different properties and a resulting change in customs tarif number.
    I never called us a color film manufacturer though.

I wonder if ADOX is the company that cuts down and packages AGFA aviation films for our two favorite brands?
    No, we donīt. Which brands do you mean?

looks like ADOX and the returning Ferrania have definately stated their exact film cutting and packaging capabilities which is good to know.
    Ferrania has stated that they have found the machinery to manufacture a very large list of formats. They have not said, that they can or will manufacture all the formats from the list. Rather they said they would do so if demand is of a kind which justifies the reintroduction of a format (means setting the machinery back into operation).
    They also said in another post that they want to stick to what was made in their last year to start with.
    I expect them to manufacture 35mm film only in the beginning.

We actually produce all the formats from my list.
    We also have machines for other formats which are not in a running state and could be set into operation if demand was sufficent.

Will ADOX produce some 127 film in the near future?
    This is not planed because we have no spools and no backing paper. Cutting and spooling alone wouldnīt be the problem.

Mirko

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh really? So the information that the "Compard R09", "Fomadon R09" and Adonal are made at the same chemical plant and that they are just labeled with different labels is NOT true?
    All products from the above list differ slightly. None of them are absolutely identical.
    Who said this with the labels?

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 07-30-2013 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder who cuts and Packages the Agfa aviation films for Maco/Rollei and Lomography if it is not done by ADOX?

Is ADOX and InnovisCoat involved in producing the Lomochrome Purple 400 film?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

All products from the above list differ slightly. None of them are absolutely identical.

Mirko
    It is has been communicated out of the industry that there had been three plants making Rodinal versions.
    One of them being the plant in Vaihingen.

And as long any of these plants was not making it solely for their own behalf, the customer could label it either with the proper namer or any other name depending on his will to pay licences for a trademark.

I guess by "After the stop of production in Vaihingen" you mean the end of production as Agfa plant. Or do you refer to an end of production of Rodinal at that plant?
    Last edited by AgX; 07-30-2013 at 09:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And as long any of these plants was not making it solely for their own behalf, the customer could label it either with the proper namer or any other name depending on his will to pay licences for a trademark.
    The trademark Rodinal was licensed to a company who purchased a business from Agfa in a package deal.
    This company decided not to bottle and sell B&W chemistry as the volumes were not interesting to them.
    At that time the chemistry in bulk was still available from Vaihingen but later this changed.
    The AgfaPhoto trademark licensing contracts do not allow sub licensing and the current license holder did not consider manuacturing of Rodinal a business.
    This was when the name dissappeared from the bottle regardeless if one was theoretically willing to pay for it or not.
    One could say "the name got stuck" in this legal setup.

I guess by "After the stop of production in Vaihingen" you mean the end of production as Agfa plant. Or do you refer to an end of production of Rodinal at that plant?
    The plant in Vaihingen does not manufacture Rodinal anymore. First finishing was stoped and later on the entire b&w production. This plant has been built to effectively produce large amounts of chemistry. They are not set up to manufacture small amounts of niche market products and manufacture other, non photographic, products now.

The last we could purchase were the leftover bottles and caps. We ran out of Rodinal shaped bottles but still have thousands of NEUTOL 1,25 L bottles.

We employed former Agfa technicians, made laboratory scale productions, verified the recipes and handed them to a new manufacturer for mixing on a lage scale. We then bottle, cap and label ADONAL in our factory.
    This allows us to keep stock fresh. In the original large bucket Rodinal stays clear forever. Once bottled in the thinner-wall PE-bottles it starts to darken.
    Our competitors took a bottle of Rodinal and handed it to a new manufacturer asking him to clone it, which he did. Foma sells what we have ben selling under the APH09 name. This is Rodinal is made acording to the recipes from Wolfen (ORWO) and yet made in a different factory but not by Foma.

The largest difference is between this old Rodinal sold by Foma as R09 and by us as APH 09 and the two others. The reformulated "clone" is similar to ours yet not identical. The pH values have been brought in line between R09 and Rodinal acording to our request in 2002. Since then all developers have more or less the same development times.

Mirko

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for that update on the Rodinal production.

I assume we all were under the impression that Rodinal was still made at Vaihingen as special order product

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mirko
    I think someone has now mentioned already this "knowledge"/speculation.

But I've read it in many places on the net multiple times that one plant made it and then sold it to various other companies for labeling and distribution of whatever company name wanted to sell it.

Anyway thanks for clearing it up.

Any word on that special edition glass bottle of Rodinal? the kind that will keep clear (even if the bottle glass isn't clear) the way the larger bottles you mentioned will keep clear forever? Just as a boost for reintroducing the Rodnal name

I know that's not "important" but it could be a good advertising campaign by word of mouth "I just got this cool old school bottle of Rodinal from Adox, they are selling it again! Go get some!" In discussions with other photographers.

I've said this before and I know it's "Taboo" about 127 but have you thought of talking to a plastics/metal designer about making new spools? And also talk to companies who are set up to cut the film like you and Ilford and apparently Ferrania, and ask if they would "go in with you" on buying the spools and cut backing paper so that the re-design and manufacture cost could be more economical for all of you?

I keep saying the same about advertising, all the film companies should get together and do a group add campaign to remind people about film, many people think it's not even made anymore, so that would boost awareness, this can't be done by just one company the cost is too great for a worldwide advertising, but if you all came together for that one project it could really help inform people about film and also get a younger generation interested in it more than just lomography hipsters...

"Go use your dads old camera again" "capture some memories that last!" Etc.

Just some thoughts.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin