Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,701   Online: 1120

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know what? I have seen a lot of really stupid labs who could give a rat's ass about making sure this unusual film looks good!

I have been watching on the Lomography website and seeing images submitted that just plain SUCK!

And you know Damn well it is because of Lame Ass stupid minilabs that just did not bother to make an attempt to do any kind of color balancing!

I have played around with scans of Lomochrome Purple film in PhotoShop and have found tremendous potential in the color balance, this unusual film picks up quite a bit of color! It is the stupid lame labs that make this film look like trash!

Image Source of Ventura, California with little to no real coaching about this film's character produced some great images, those that complain about the film being Lame went to a Lame lab!

Pick your lab carefully before you just piss this film off as lame!

It was $20 for my pro lab in Ventura to develop and print my 36 exp roll of LomoChrome Purple, 20 bucks well spent IMO! And... they received very little explanation of this film's character!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Is this a new trend, double posting everything?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    127 Format
    The labs are probably trying their hardest to make the scans look like normal film. Can't blame them, most are set to automatic color correction.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last weekend the Tehachapi "Mountain Festival" was in full swing.

Shot this batch of Lomochrome Purple XR-100-400 at ASA 200 with a vintage 1972 Canon F-1 with 24mm FD S.S.C lens and the railroad shots with the rare Canon FD S.S.C 85 to 300mm zoom lens.

These scans are not all that top notch but usinf a high end 35mm SLR makes all the difference with this unusual German made custom film!

A high end camera with high end processing by Image Source of Ventura, Ca and this film hauls ass!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarShow1.jpg   CarShow2.jpg   CarShow3.jpg   Caliente1.jpg   Caliente2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenhause View Post
    You know what? I have seen a lot of really stupid labs who could give a rat's ass about making sure this unusual film looks good!

I have been watching on the Lomography website and seeing images submitted that just plain SUCK!

And you know Damn well it is because of Lame Ass stupid minilabs that just did not bother to make an attempt to do any kind of color balancing!
    How do you colour balance this film?

In particular, how do you colour balance this film if youre an operator and have no idea it's supposed to be weird and you're worried your chemicals are spoiled and you do your best to rescue the ruined pictures?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic amateur View Post
    How do you colour balance this film?

In particular, how do you colour balance this film if youre an operator and have no idea it's supposed to be weird and you're worried your chemicals are spoiled and you do your best to rescue the ruined pictures?
    The type of film would be apparent from the cassette, and a good lab should be up-to-date with the products it was dealing with ?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    The type of film would be apparent from the cassette, and a good lab should be up-to-date with the products it was dealing with ?
    You expect minilab operators to track down a niche producer's brand new niche product?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    You expect minilab operators to track down a niche producer's brand new niche product?
    I actually said a "good" lab, not "minilab". But any lab, presented with a brand new niche product, only has to check on the web. There aren't that many film manufacturers now, even niche producers. Of course, that's too much like hard work....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developing the LomoChrome Purple has ben quite good so far, I used it at ASA 200.

The local pro lab here in Ventura, Ca did a great job.

I just gave the gal who is filling out the process order a brief description of what the film is supposed to do, she looked at the cartridge and was curious if it needed E-6 processing because of the "Chrome" labeling.

The gal really did not ask any questions, she obviously was confident in the film turning out well.

The folks at LomoGraphy had stated that the film is designed for ease of printing in a minilab, the color balance perhaps is real close to what would be used for normal Kodak and Fuji color print films, the film has a light green mask to it instead of the usual orange type mask.

That light green color mask could be doing wonders for ease of color balancing during printing.

I should not be so hard nosed about some of the LomoChrome Purple shots seen on the web that don't look all the good because a lot of them were taken with cameras with little to no exposure control.

In my experience consistant accurate exposure control rating the film in the middle at ASA 200 has done really well with some predictability of how the shots will look.

I am going to order some custom 8x10 prints on Kodak Endura Metallic paper.

The film has a lot of potential if you treat it right, The film is definately an aquired taste so to speak, some folks are just not really too enthused about it.

After shooting two 36 exp rolls I am most pleased with this film

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin