Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 828

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Who Made the Lomochrome Purple 400 film?

The film is just about to be delivered, On Flikr there are some people who were privledged to get a few 35mm and 120 rolls before we do.....

I must say I like what I see so far......

There are some that have emulated this film in digital by means of a bit of color channel swapping.

Ok, The big question, who coated the emulsion, only Kodak, Agfa and Fuji are left in the world who can make color film to the best of my knowledge.....

The Lomography people have kind of let the "Cat" out of the bag so to speak by letting us know the first rolls are going to be delayed a bit for delivery, they tell us the European factory is very busy right now.

Perhaps...... Kodak made the master roll and Maco/Rollei is cutting it down to 35mm and 120 rolls?

I am betting Agfa, Belgium did it! I put out some inquiries today on Flikr to those displaying results from the "Test" rolls put out to the "Buddies" of Lomography, I have asked if the film is "Clear base negative like Rollei CN-200 which is Agfa Aerial color negative film or does it have the usual "orange" color masking of regular color negative film, Do you think these guys will comment about it?

Lomography sources the lion's share of its film from Agfa, next is Kodak, some Fuji?

By law the film packaging must state country of manufacture, on certain Lomography film boxes it says "Made In USA, packaged in Mexico, What does that tell you? some film is made in China, some is made in the E.U., only one color film maker in the E.U., Can You say Agfa? Sure.... I like they way you say that..

The information coming in to this thread will be most fun, as well as the film will be once they get it all packed and shipped, some are looking forward to this event and others well.....

One thing for certain..... whoever gets their Lomochrome Purple 400 rolls first will know who made the film once they read the "Made in...." stamped on the box!

OK, People! Let her Rip!

Please, these findings are just what I have observed so far so don't take this as gospel truth........

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A safe bet is Agfa-Gevaert. The rebate font will probably give it away. It always gives away Kodak.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenhause View Post
    ... and Maco/Rollei is cutting it down to 35mm and 120 rolls?
    AFAIK Maco/Rollei is not able to cut film or paper. Their products are manufactured by other companies and only sold by them.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    There are other coating facilities in several places. How about China Lucky? InovisCoat?

Andreas is right. Maco used to send to EFKE film pancakes to be slit and packaged in the 127 format.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    Although products often say where they are made, I don't think this is currently required under EU law. I have bought many non-photographic products in the UK and most don't give the place of origin. Often, one suspects, it is China. It seems it is also possible (in the EU) to legally state a place of manufacture when only the final packaging has been done there. In another thread there was recently a discussion about Foma's Equicolor film which claims to be made in the Czech Republic, but quite possibly only the box was made there. The law is probably different in the US - I don't know. I have also seen colour film which was produced for sale in Poland with no indication of where it was made. But as for the Lomography film, it will be interesting to see what it says. As it is intended for international markets, it will probably have an indication of origin, even if that's only where the packaging is done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Color Tiger 110 film package says 'made in China', so there is certainly color film coating capabilities there.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whoops! I had inquired to a gentleman who had posted "Lomochrome Purple 400" images on Flikr and he has told me they are simulations performed in Photoshop, kind of throws my theory out the window about some lucky folks obtaining "Test" rolls, His images look fabulous! I sure hope the real Lomochrome Purple 400 film performs as good.

Color Tiger made in China? from all outward appearances including Lucky's website they show all color film production as having been discontinued several years ago, also have not seen any Lucky Color for sale with a current expiry date, kind of makes you wonder...

Where is AGx? he would know if Agfa may be making Lomochrome Purple

Shooter
    35mm
    China Lucky discontinued production of Colour films last September. You can read about it in this forum. There are still rolls being sold with a current expiry date. I have some rolls of colour film dated 12/2013. Production of B&W 100 ISO film continues.
    China Lucky isn't the only Chinese manufacturer: there's Shangai and there's another one with at least slitting and packaging capabilities.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked up InovisCoat and it looks like they are the most likely to be making the Lomochrome Purple 400 film, they have former Agfa employees and machinery, Could this be the factory in Europe that the Lomography folks are talking about in their latest press release about the delivery of this new film? InovisCoat is definately making film, both color and B&W, their website encourages "custom" film orders.

Once we get the film in hand it should be easy to figure out if Agfa Belgium made it or InovisCoat, Agfa Belgium seems to offer only Polyester base films whereas InovisCoat offers conventional film base.

Will the LomoChrome Purple 400 box say "Made In E.U."? if it does that would not really be too specific as both Germany and Belgium belong to the E.U.

There is a good posibility Maco/Rollei will do the cutting and packaging because they do have the equipment and know how to cut down the large rolls into 35mm and 120.

InovisCoat quite possibly could do the cutting and packaging of the 35mm and 120 film seeing that they possess lots of former Agfa Leverkusen film equipment.
    Last edited by Alpenhause; 07-15-2013 at 05:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Didn't someone say Lomo bought out Lucky's facilities?

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin