Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,081   Online: 1112

Shooter
    Medium Format

RA4 blix white precipitation

Some of my bottles of mixed RA4 blix (Kodak Ektacolor) are showing a yellowish-white precipitation. Some of it forms a solid block at the bottom of the bottle, some crystals are still floating around and give the blix a muddy appearance. Does anybody know what this is and why it has formed? Has the blix gone bad or is it still usable?

thanks
    Movin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It appears that the fixer has decomposed and precipitated Sulfur in the process. This unfortunately means for you that the BLIX no longer works and must be replaced
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Colortech Tetenal RA-4 kit and my blix, part 2, has the same consistency. Lots of undissolved white particles. I heated it up to 102f before mixing and shook it thoroughly, and the prints came out ok. I do wonder though, about their longevity.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with Tetenal's BLIXes is that their BX2 part is essentially Ammonium Thiosulfate and Acetic Acid. Normally, if Thiosulfate oxidizes, it becomes more and more more acidic, until, below some pH threshold, it decomposes into Sulfite and Sulfur. With Acetic Acid already in the mix, it doesn't take much oxidation before that threshold pH is reached. That Sulfur is the precipitate you saw.

Depending on your willingness to home brew, you can replace that BX2 part with raw chemicals, or you just get a new kit.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin