Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,489   Online: 901

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I wish I were as rich as bill gates or someone and buy up every color film company then get rid of C-41 altogether and restart making Astia and E100G since everyone seems to like it, and set up shipping stations across the globe so everyone could get small batch chems of E-6 for home processing

*dreams* ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are you smoking?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    What are you smoking?
    Our Dreams are the gateway to our Reality

I just made that up, but now it's true because it's part of my dream reality... hehe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Process ECN-2 specifies 3 alternative bleaches, two ferric nitrate and one ferricyanide. Cine Ektachrome processes usually specify a persulfate bleach, which requires a special accelerator prebath. I understand the accelerator has some affect on color and stability, too, but I may be wrong. Print films may use ferricyanide, Ferric-PDTA, or persulfate bleaches alternatively. Most home kits seem to be Ferric-EDTA or Ferric-PDTA. Obviously, you have some flexibility, but there may be a difference in the requirements for positive vs. negative film. Fixers vary a bit, too. They seem to be tailored to the bleach used, adjusting the pH as appropriate. Depending on the process, the fixer pH may be anywhere from 5.0 to 6.5. They are all non-hardening. Those for Ektachrome contain EDTA.

In looking at Kodak publication H24, which only applies to cine products, it is evident that the processes are designed as a system, and that the parts interact. Negative camera films seem to be the most tolerant of variations in the bleach and fixer, but even with them there are limits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    Process ECN-2 specifies 3 alternative bleaches, two ferric nitrate and one ferricyanide. Cine Ektachrome processes usually specify a persulfate bleach, which requires a special accelerator prebath. I understand the accelerator has some affect on color and stability, too, but I may be wrong. Print films may use ferricyanide, Ferric-PDTA, or persulfate bleaches alternatively. Most home kits seem to be Ferric-EDTA or Ferric-PDTA. Obviously, you have some flexibility, but there may be a difference in the requirements for positive vs. negative film. Fixers vary a bit, too. They seem to be tailored to the bleach used, adjusting the pH as appropriate. Depending on the process, the fixer pH may be anywhere from 5.0 to 6.5. They are all non-hardening. Those for Ektachrome contain EDTA.

In looking at Kodak publication H24, which only applies to cine products, it is evident that the processes are designed as a system, and that the parts interact. Negative camera films seem to be the most tolerant of variations in the bleach and fixer, but even with them there are limits.
    Thanks, good info, yea that's where I get confused, where I can cheat and use a bleach or fixer with more than one film, and where I can't. I'm mostly going to be ONLY using ECN-2 and E-6 and trying to get a system together where I can make it cheap to make small runs of chems from scratch when I want to make a batch and not have to be so stressed about doing 20 rolls at a time to make it economical and instead run 2-4 and not spend $40 worth of chem (which is how it is now with a kit).

But if I can use the same fixer or the same Bleach with both and not have loss in quality of either, that would be best, it's figuring out which I can use with both/all and get away with it safely without adverse effects to the film. Thanks again, good info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin