Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,815   Posts: 1,581,622   Online: 762

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Veri part comes from Wratten and Wainwright and their Verichrome film released around 1908. George Eastman bought Wratten & Wainwright at GEK Mees insistance (he was a director of W & W) when he was asked to join Kodak and set up their new research facilities.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-17-2013 at 05:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gerry,, you are right. Veri- comes from the Latin of "truth" and is found in many Kodak products including Verifax and other non-film items. Just as, for some reason, many developers end in "-ol". I wish I knew why. Versatol, Polydol, Xtol and so on. Latin, Greek or what? Anyhow, that is another Kodak naming convention.

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know one thing I liked about Kodak's 80-90s era packaging was the simple lowercase Helvetica (atleast I think it was) design.

Kodak Lens Cleaning Paper by aephecks, on Flickr
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ron,

The -ol ending goes way back in photography. While Kodak used the name Elon, others used Metol, Genol, Planetol, Pictol, Ardol, Ecol, Photol, ... Planetol makes me think of Buck Rogers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recognize that in developing agents as well as developers, but I was wondering the origin. Oh well, a mystery.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Being a relative youngster around here (my elementary school days started in the mid 70', in the state of Wyoming), there was no Latin being taught. As I understand it, writing (cursive) is not being taught at a lot of US schools these days, because of the focus on standardized tests. As Someone who was forbidden recess quite a few times in the third grade because of penmanship, I can't say that it hurts my feelings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait until you have to read something "written" by a 20 something modern person!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am upset that cursive is no longer taught in our schools. My youngest is still in high school, and has beautiful hand writing(because I taught her). I won penmanship awards in elementary (catholic)school, had to excel to keep the penguins from hitting me. I'm naturally left handed, and was routinly cracked on the knuckles with a wooden pointer for it, forcing me to write right handed. They also taught us latin and french, as they were a French-Canadian order of nuns.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I am upset that cursive is no longer taught in our schools. My youngest is still in high school, and has beautiful hand writing(because I taught her). I won penmanship awards in elementary (catholic)school, had to excel to keep the penguins from hitting me. I'm naturally left handed, and was routinly cracked on the knuckles with a wooden pointer for it, forcing me to write right handed. They also taught us latin and french, as they were a French-Canadian order of nuns.
    Being left handed, I was lucky to be in a public school, I only lost boxes of crayons. After the 5th box however my mother had a little chat with the principal who lived one block away from us (Ah the joys of a small Wyoming town). After that the teacher left me alone, except for missing lots of recess that year. Technology was my ultimate savior when not to long after that my parents bought a TRS-80 model 1. My grades went up by a lot because teachers could read what I was writing.

As for something being written by 20 year olds, they write? I thought everything thy did these days they did everything electronically! When I was in classes, I was often the only one with a pen and paper taking notes, everyone else was using either a tablet or laptop.

Shooter
    35mm
    PE, I got this from Yahoo 'answers' as to what 'ol' means in chemistry:

"The suffix –ol is used in organic chemistry to form names of organic compounds containing the –OH group (hydroxyl group)"

And, PE, I do adore your quote: "Wait until you have to read something "written" by a 20 something modern person!". Academics seems to be, essentially, either meaningless in today's culture or subordinated to the level of mediocrity. Just try STUDYING in today's noisy libraries and just try SUGGESTING to the staff that the (yes, THEIR) noise level be kept down. A year ago in the (exclusive!!!) Rittenhouse Square branch of the Philadelphia Free Library there were two rather well-to-do women whose screaming children (about 5 years old) kept the Library at bay for 45 minutes!!! And I do not know for how long afterward because I told them, in a bit of a forceful voice (but not yelling) that they were not the only people here entitled to use the library. The big, black guard immediately told me not to talk to them that way (he was defending this affluent, white privilege) (!!!). I simply left because one simply cannot cut through that combination of adrenalin and moxie without going mad in this neurotic city of fools.

Rick: i must be younger (63) than you: because, also, I am left-handed, but was never punished for that indiscretion. And, long ago, I forgot how to write (except my signature). I print always. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-18-2013 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin