Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 959

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    PE,...<snip>

And, PE, I do adore your quote: "Wait until you have to read something "written" by a 20 something modern person!". Academics seems to be, essentially, either meaningless in today's culture or subordinated to the level of mediocrity. Just try STUDYING in today's noisy libraries and just try SUGGESTING to the staff that the (yes, THEIR) noise level be kept down. A year ago in the (exclusive!!!) Rittenhouse Square branch of the Philadelphia Free Library there were two rather well-to-do women whose screaming children (about 5 years old) kept the Library at bay for 45 minutes!!! And I do not know for how long afterward because I told them, in a bit of a forceful voice (but not yelling) that they were not the only people here entitled to use the library. The big, black guard immediately told me not to talk to them that way (he was defending this affluent, white privilege) (!!!). I simply left because one simply cannot cut through that combination of adrenalin and moxie without going mad in this neurotic city of fools.

I don't go to libraries, they have nothing I could use right now. Whenever I go, there is just way too much noise and distractions these days. As far as the educational system, I will only comment from my personal observations, which is that the current system is good for training students to spit out facts and figures and just plain rote memorizing. I saw it a lot in my college classes that I was taking. When the tests were multiple choice, most students seemed to do pretty well, but when there was any kind of critical thought, say in an essay test, the grades went down the drain fast. The students weren't taught any kind of critical thinking skills.

As for Philadelphia, lets just say it has a reputation for a reason...

Rick: i must be younger (63) than you: because, also, I am left-handed, but was never punished for that indiscretion. And, long ago, I forgot how to write (except my signature). I print always. - David Lyga
    I don't write either, I always print. I'm 44.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I am upset that cursive is no longer taught in our schools. My youngest is still in high school, and has beautiful hand writing(because I taught her).
    The traditionalist in me agrees. However, the practical part of me disagrees.

I had an argument with my daughter's teacher. She was trying to get her to write with joined letters and loops in the current prescribed style but my daughter was having trouble writing anything legible.

When I write by hand I write each letter separately and simply so I showed her the same method. Her teacher complained that if she didn't do it the school's way, she wouldn't pass the Key Stage assessment (whatever that means).

I didn't care about that. I would rather have her writing legibly than an unreadable mess.

I don't see why they should have to join letters up. When you type on a computer or read a book the letters are not joined so why should they be when hand written?

Having said that, when done well it does look nice.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Mees and Sheperd had studied Latin together bat school
    What is a bat school? Not what originally sprang to mind I assume. Bat caves and utility belts?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The naming of developers and developing agents seems to have gone through different fashions. For a white -ol was popular but so was -gen as in Kalogen and Eikonogen. The connection between developer names ending in -ol and chemical structure seems a bit felicitous. Strictly speaking in chemistry the suffix -ol applies to only alcohols as in methanol, ethanol, propanol, etc. There are many chemicals that contain the -OH group such as sugars whose names do not end in -ol. The use of the -ol ending is an interesting question to which we may never get an definitive answer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    +500 pts for TFC!
    + another 500!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    madgardener (and others): the following was NOT part of my quote but was greyed to appear so:

"I don't go to libraries, they have nothing I could use right now. Whenever I go, there is just way too much noise and distractions these days. As far as the educational system, I will only comment from my personal observations, which is that the current system is good for training students to spit out facts and figures and just plain rote memorizing. I saw it a lot in my college classes that I was taking. When the tests were multiple choice, most students seemed to do pretty well, but when there was any kind of critical thought, say in an essay test, the grades went down the drain fast. The students weren't taught any kind of critical thinking skills.

As for Philadelphia, lets just say it has a reputation for a reason..."

HOWEVER, madgardener, I do tend to agree with this thought. Detroit.....then Philadelphia? Bankruptcy? Not the most diligent or conscientious crowd here. Endless litter and reckless sidewalk cyclists that pose an ongoing threat towards pedestrians. Try to call them on it and all you end up with is the 'finger'. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-19-2013 at 08:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry;

Remember that HQ is p-Hydroxy Phenol, and Metol is p-Amino Phenol So, the -ol suffix seems to be present in many developing agents.

PE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    And color from the odd American way of spelling colour!...
    No more odd than "farbe" or how it's spelled in any other foreign language. Once you stop insisting that you and the US ought merge two separate languages into one, your frustration level will decrease markedly.

For a good time, get thee across the channel and inform your French neighbors how wrongly they're speaking and writing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    No more odd than "farbe" or how it's spelled in any other foreign language. Once you stop insisting that you and the US ought merge two separate languages into one, your frustration level will decrease markedly.
    I don't think they should be merged. I think there should be two separate languages. It's silly to change the spellings of words and make up new words whilst continuing to call it English. Your language could be called American.

And there's no frustration - it's just a bit of light hearted banter (do you use that word?!).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The American spelling of the word color was one of a number of modest changes in spelling made by Noah Webster. There is nothing strange about it. What is strange is that the English mispronounce schedule but pronounce school correctly. Such inconsistencies drove the famous British author George Bernard Shaw nuts. Like Webster he sought to reform English spelling.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin