Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,629   Online: 1080

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jerry;

Remember that HQ is p-Hydroxy Phenol, and Metol is p-Amino Phenol So, the -ol suffix seems to be present in many developing agents.

PE.
    Hi Ron,

I thought to disregard phenol since it is the common name for hydroxybenzene. I also thought that the IUPAC naming convention would reserve the ending -ol for alcohols. But that was not to be since the IUPAC name for phenol is benzenol. So much for standardization. Best not to overthink some things.

Jerry
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-20-2013 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think they should be merged...Your language could be called American...
    I've proposed that in a similar exchange we previously had, either here or on the large format forum.

...And there's no frustration...
    Are you sure Steve? Didn't Freud say that there's no such thing as a joke?

...it's just a bit of light hearted banter (do you use that word?!)...
    Yes, banter is engaged in and used in the language here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My French friends are amazed at the pronunciation and grammar of the Quebec French. Many misunderstandings and "quaintness" as the Parisians put it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And color from the odd American way of spelling colour!
    Except that "color" is from Latin, predating the French word from the English got colour.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Didn't Freud say that there's no such thing as a joke?
    I think he was kidding.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To the French everyone else is a joke. For many, many years French children were taught in school that only French culture was relevant. Oh how it must hurt them that English has become the lingua franca of the world. A hundred years after Hastings, Norman French families were having to send to France for tutors to teach their children how to speak proper French. Such was the power of the emerging English language.

To understand why English has replaced French look at the following site for the conjugation of the verb to kiss in French where it is a regular verb. http://www.learn-french-help.com/french-for-kiss.html I shudder to think of the irregular French verbs. English is so elegant in its simplicity.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-20-2013 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    My French friends are amazed at the pronunciation and grammar of the Quebec French. Many misunderstandings and "quaintness" as the Parisians put it.

PE
    They would horrified and not amazed at the French spoken in Louisiana. Laissez les bons temps rouler. There are other variants that do even more violence to the French language.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-20-2013 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry, the French are wonderful if you just try to speak their language. They become polite and courteous at just the effort. But, i managed many a bent nose before I could remember that tirez meant pull and pousez meant push!

I am part French and still have relatives in France. I gave the first part of my last talk at Chalon in my fractured French and then apologized and continued in English. They appreciated the effort.

PE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin