Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,075   Online: 955

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Vericolor - from where is the name derived

Hello, I am familiar with names like EKtachome (EK being Eastman Kodak) and Kodacolor, but I've always wondered where the VERI in Vericolor Films comes from. Anybody know? Kind regards, Basil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the Latin veritas meaning truth. So Vericolor means true color.

Once again the value of a grammar school education evidences itself. Grammar schools were so named because students were taught Latin grammar. My Latin teacher was Mrs Daly. Each day six students were sent up to the board to conjugate a verb or decline a noun. Mrs Daly was an artist in the use of a piece of chalk. Mistakes were punctuated with a piece of chalk hitting them. Sometimes also the student. She once threw a large Latin dictionary at a girl who made the mistake of wearing orange on St Patrick's day.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-17-2013 at 11:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    From the Latin veritas meaning truth. So Vericolor means true color.

Once again the value of a grammar school education evidences itself. Grammar schools were so named because students were taught Latin grammar. My Latin teacher was Mrs Daly. Each day six students were sent up to the board to conjugate a verb or decline a noun. Mrs Daly was an artist in the use of a piece of chalk. Mistakes were punctuated with a piece of chalk hitting them. Sometimes also the student. She once threw a large Latin dictionary at a girl who made the mistake of wearing orange on St Patrick's day.
    Yikes! The worst I ever had thrown at me was an eraser.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mrs Daly: "Gerald, would you care to decline a noun today?"
    Gerald: "gladly"
    Mrs Daly:"then why aren't you getting up and going to the chalkboard?"
    Gerald: "I declined, didn't I? I'll decline the verb too, and anything else that would make me get out of this chair "
    *THWAP* (eraser hits Gerald) *POOF* (cloud of chalk dust erupts)
    Mrs Daly: "You were saying, Gerald?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +500 pts for TFC!
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also seen some UK members call it "Vericolour". Perfect excuse to light the torches right there!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I've also seen some UK members call it "Vericolour". Perfect excuse to light the torches right there!
    Us Canadians agree with our UK brethren/sisters.

I wonder if I have an old Pro-Pack box around somewhere - to see whether our Canadian stocks were properly labelled!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got hit by a large dictionary aimed at someone else. It knocked me out of my chair onto the floor.

The teacher apologized and told us she was aiming (poorly it seems) at the student in the next row.

Anyhow, I took French instead of Latin and I wore orange on St. Patrick's day. That is the rebel in me.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And Kodak used both name versions: Kodachrome and Kodachrom

But this is only for those who learned Greek at school...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the sounds of your Latin classes, I'm shocked y'all weren't attening Catholic schools!

I excelled at church Latin but not real Latin. Also took French but wasn't allowed to speak it at home. Then Spanish... which I failed to master despite passing all of my classes with decent grades.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin