Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 899
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,377
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    You can't rely on other people's experience, if you want to appreciate the difference between these films I suggest you shoot them.
    True, but the experience of others over a long period time, combined, can enhance awareness of problems and pitfalls with almost anything in life. Film like Velvia is expensive, and will continue to be so. Arming yourself with the knowledge and experience helps make the investment worthwhile and less fraught. Not everybody starting out with the first roll of Velvia will be pleased with the results, chiefly because they haven't done their research; it is a bit of an acquired taste and knowledge of how to use it in conditions that it responds very well to is what is important. Once you've mastered that, you're set!

    I would not be surprised if Velvia 100F is given the chop any time soon. It has been universally scorned for its quirky colour palette and lack of punch compared to 50. But is it a case of "one man's tonic is another man's poison"? I'm sure it has its ardent followers who like the flashy, avant garde palette far removed from its stablemate. I suggest the OP take careful note of all comments made in this thread and buy a roll of one of the Velvias, expose them and examine the results with a critical eye. That will be an interesting experience.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

    One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.


    "It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams






  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    29
    My personal experience has been that Velvia 100 works fine in flat light. Its colors seem a little over the top at sunrise and sunset compared to Velvia 50 but it is still OK. However, at twilight hour (before sunrise or after sunset), Velvia 100 seems to produce a strong magenta color cast which I can‘t get rid of. Velvia 50 is the better option in this case. I use mostly Velvia 50 though. I haven't found anything better than it to capture the subtle hues in the nature under soft light, magic! Even its slow speed works better for me a lot of time as it save me from using a ND to get a slow shutter speed.

  3. #23
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,835
    Images
    57
    I thought RVP50 was *the* Velvia and all others were simply cut-rate heathen films no self-respecting chrome shooter would ever admit to owning?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  4. #24
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

    RVP 50espite populist opinion, this film is not over-saturated.
    Well, that's your opinion. Fuji themselves say it has "the highest saturation". I find its saturation very high, not close to natural, except under subdued or overcast light, when it can deliver very nice results.

    So, I guess it depends on what is meant by "over-saturated". Some love its saturation, so I guess to them it is not over-saturated. To someone who prefers Astia's or even Provia's way of rendering, it probably is over-saturated.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #25
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,835
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, that's your opinion. Fuji themselves say it has "the highest saturation". I find its saturation very high, not close to natural, except under subdued or overcast light, when it can deliver very nice results.

    So, I guess it depends on what is meant by "over-saturated". Some love its saturation, so I guess to them it is not over-saturated. To someone who prefers Astia's or even Provia's way of rendering, it probably is over-saturated.
    Here.. take this little tablet. Here's some water to wash it down.

    How does RVP 50 look to you now?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  6. #26
    tsiklonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    35
    Yes sirs, V50 all the way, it's THE Velvia indeed. With the only "but" for long (1 minute+) exposures - then it's the V100 for me since it has much better reciprocity characteristics than the V50. The "intermediate" 100F Velvia somehow never grew on me as much as the other two.

  7. #27
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,317
    Images
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Here.. take this little tablet. Here's some water to wash it down.

    How does RVP 50 look to you now?
    not the same as the original velvia before they reformulated it and added the 50
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  8. #28
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    True, but the experience of others over a long period time, combined, can enhance awareness of problems and pitfalls with almost anything in life. Film like Velvia is expensive, and will continue to be so. Arming yourself with the knowledge and experience helps make the investment worthwhile and less fraught. Not everybody starting out with the first roll of Velvia will be pleased with the results, chiefly because they haven't done their research; it is a bit of an acquired taste and knowledge of how to use it in conditions that it responds very well to is what is important. Once you've mastered that, you're set!

    I would not be surprised if Velvia 100F is given the chop any time soon. It has been universally scorned for its quirky colour palette and lack of punch compared to 50. But is it a case of "one man's tonic is another man's poison"? I'm sure it has its ardent followers who like the flashy, avant garde palette far removed from its stablemate. I suggest the OP take careful note of all comments made in this thread and buy a roll of one of the Velvias, expose them and examine the results with a critical eye. That will be an interesting experience.
    I still maintain that having other people trying out film for you is like having them eat a meal for you, and asking them how it tastes.
    P.S.
    Velvia 100F was discontinued some time ago the retailers are just selling of the existing stock http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...essional-films
    Ben

  9. #29
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Here.. take this little tablet. Here's some water to wash it down.

    How does RVP 50 look to you now?
    Over-saturated.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  10. #30
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,377
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I still maintain that having other people trying out film for you is like having them eat a meal for you, and asking them how it tastes.
    P.S.
    Velvia 100F was discontinued some time ago the retailers are just selling of the existing stock http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...essional-films

    Still very plentiful here in Australia. I imagine that will be the case for some time given the poor take-up of this particular film.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

    One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.


    "It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams






Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin