Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 863

Shooter
    Multi Format

Measuring C-41 developer components in small volumes using weight?

I have been pondering what is the simplest method to measure small volumes of the Kodak Flexicolor LU LORR C-41 developer components to do one-shot processing in my rotary processor. (For those times when I don't have enough rolls made up to justify mixing up the whole 5L+ batch.)

If I want to measure out 2L of developer tank solution I come up with numbers like this:

Starting Water 1220.80
    Developer LU LORR Part A 122.08
    Developer LU LORR Part B 34.18
    Developer LU LORR Part C 17.09
    Add Water to Make: 1940.00
    (Should be…) 545.85
    Add Starter: 60.00
    Total tank solution: 2000.00

To measure 122.08, 34.18, 17.09 mL seems tricky to do even with a pipettte. Would it not be easier to use a digital scale, say one that was accurate to .01g precision with a 500g capacity? Those sell for cheap. To be really precise I would need to know the specific gravity of each part, which I am not sure Kodak publishes. But I could maybe assume 1.034 which is what they have as a published number for the overall developer.

I am curious if this is a good idea or not?

Cheers,
    Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use small graduates and don't worry about anything after the .
    and I'm usually making 1L batches.
    that was easy!

I think mine are 35ml graduates but I also have syringes that work well for really small amounts.
    Last edited by wildbill; 07-17-2013 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post

I use small graduates and don't worry about anything after the .
    and I'm usually makein 1L batches.
    that was easy!
    Haha. Perhaps I am over thinking it indeed. :-) I have a 200ml graduate, but not one with markings down to 1ml. That would be a decent way to go.

Ok I have bought 6 x 100ml graduates with 1ml markings. I will try that technique first.
    Last edited by justin parker; 07-17-2013 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Updating my plans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a syringe for small volumes?

Rinse well with water and then with acetone or alcohol and it should dry without any appreciable corrosion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A medical syringe would be Ok but the ones sold to dispense children's medications may not be too accurate. There was a problem discussed on a previous thread about HC-110 dilution.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by justin parker View Post
    Ok I have bought 6 x 100ml graduates with 1ml markings.
    Why do you need six graduates. One would do nicely, just rinse it out with water and shake out any water before use. With 1ml divisions you can easily measure to the nearest 1/2 ml.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A ~ 45 ml graduate would be a useful addition to your kit.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought this kit also. I mixed all five liters at once and amd stored the working solution in full, sealed bottles of one-shot volume. I haven't found any evidence to suggest that the components last longer/keep better than the mixed solution. Just the opposite in most cases. But I'm always interested in hearing others' knowledge and experience.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin