Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,358   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What is this Kodak Chemical?

what is this kodak chemical and why is the postage so high? what is this chemical used for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-decol...item43b169a5f7
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's activated charcoal, it's used to take dyes & general discolouration out of solutions, it can have other purposes as well, you can use it to take out oxidised organic compound from a solution. You regenerate it by heating at a high temperature.

I need some but not at that price to take the colour out of Meths (methylated spirits) which I use for French polishing.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    100% pure LSD.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I need some but not at that price to take the colour out of Meths (methylated spirits) which I use for French polishing.
    You can get Industrial Denatured Alcohol (IDA) which is meths without the methyl violet and has the advantage that it is 99% alcohol rather than the regular 90% of meths. The downside is the requirement to have authorisation from HMRC, but for small quantities, it is a fairly quick application process.

Update: HMRC published a proposal in April to change the formulation of CDA (a.k.a. meths) to bring it in line with the rest of the E.U. - Upshot is that there will no longer be a requirement to add a dye for meths sold in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, I have everything needed to distill my own alcohol which is now legal in the UK although not publicised. Because it was legal for farmers to make small quantities of Calvados in France it meant the restrictions were lifted in the UK. It's just the time and effort required, filtering meths is easy

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen that seller for quite a while and his pricing practices are a bit odd.
    For awhile he was making the actual price real cheap with exorbitant shipping fees and then he went to free shipping with outrageous purchase prices.
    Most of his stuff seems like it was sitting in a warehouse also.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

I made 3 liters of white whisky with sugar, water and bread yeast. It was the most wonderful alcohol I have ever drinked. If you distill your alcohıol , you get ethyl. By the way I freeze distill it 3 times. How did you accomplish to distill purple methyl ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eastman Chemical Company was one of many companies under the Kodak umbrella. It produced many chemicals not only for Kodak but for general sale too. It's not correct to assume that anything labeled Eastman Chemical is directly connected with film production or processing.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin