Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,803   Online: 744

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Processing Old Kodacolor II (C-41) 126 Film

I was given a camera that had some old Kodacolor II, 126 film loaded in it. It was about half exposed. I shot the remainder of the film and would like to process. I've looked around, and there's mixed opinions on how to process this film; everyone's circumstances are a little bit different. In my case, there's nothing critical on this particular film. Should I just proceed with regular C-41 development? (This film specifies C-41, not C-22.) Or are there other precautions I should take?

Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I was given a camera that had some old Kodacolor II, 126 film loaded in it. It was about half exposed. I shot the remainder of the film and would like to process. I've looked around, and there's mixed opinions on how to process this film; everyone's circumstances are a little bit different. In my case, there's nothing critical on this particular film. Should I just proceed with regular C-41 development? (This film specifies C-41, not C-22.) Or are there other precautions I should take?

Thanks.
    Yea just process normally, scan it as B&W if the color is too bizarre (blacks may go green etc) but if it looks good, keep it, if its funky, scan as B&W.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodacolor II was the first C-41 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some labs will still handle 126.

If you do your own processing, 126 film is 35mm stock with special perforations and paper backing. You should be able to handle it with regular 35mm tanks and reels.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea just process normally, scan it as B&W if the color is too bizarre (blacks may go green etc) but if it looks good, keep it, if its funky, scan as B&W.
    Presumably you have experience doing this. How old was your film, and what developer did you use? Did you use final rinse or stabilizer? How badly fogged were your images?

Shooter
    127 Format
    DIY C-41 the same as 35mm.

My personal results with old 126 benefited with additional 30 seconds in the color developer. The negatives still were off balance and slightly fogged but scanned well enough.

Some people like to develop old film at colder temperatures for longer times. I have not tried that with C-41.

Cut the cartridge open carefully for reuse. There is color 35mm non-perforated film available for those who enjoy reloading their 126 cameras.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Darkroom in San Clemente does 126 according to their offering of services without batting an eyelash.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin