Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,277   Posts: 1,660,936   Online: 760

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is this the beginning of the end for tranny film altogether? When you think about it, the media generally doesn't want it, (they demand digital) slide projectors are disappearing, as it becomes ever easier to view your efforts on the TV screen. There is probably a higher demand for colour neg., people still like prints to handle, and black & white is probably the primary area where film based results are preferred by many.
    Another factor in the demise of tranny could be less and less labs around to process the film.
    I see black & white as the main future for film based photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Is this the beginning of the end for tranny film altogether? When you think about it, the media generally doesn't want it, (they demand digital) slide projectors are disappearing, as it becomes ever easier to view your efforts on the TV screen. There is probably a higher demand for colour neg., people still like prints to handle, and black & white is probably the primary area where film based results are preferred by many.
    Another factor in the demise of tranny could be less and less labs around to process the film.
    I see black & white as the main future for film based photography.
    Cost is key, it's almost double for transparency when you look at the total cost and you can't wet print only scan so many who wet print can't use it period.

It comes down to that really, C-41 isn't really that less in quality than transparency that its worth the extra cost of E-6 and you can't even process it at home anymore in the US, at least not with a proper 6 bath kit.

*side note* whenever I read "tranny" I don't think of transparency film....

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why do I keep reading that 3 bath E-6 kits are poor quality? What evidence do you have to support this claim that all 3 bath E-6 kits are bad? The Tetenal Colortec E-6 Kit is available from Freestyle for amyone in the USA to buy and use at home. APUG members with huge amounts of experience and knowledge have said how good this kits is.

Show me one well done test that shows it is inferior to a 6 bath kit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Why do I keep reading that 3 bath E-6 kits are poor quality? What evidence do you have to support this claim that all 3 bath E-6 kits are bad? The Tetenal Colortec E-6 Kit is available from Freestyle for amyone in the USA to buy and use at home. APUG members with huge amounts of experience and knowledge have said how good this kits is.

Show me one well done test that shows it is inferior to a 6 bath kit.
    PE has stated many times that the blix does not fully eliminate all the silver and that over time the image can degrade, also the Arista kits don't contain stabilizer which they don't tell you you need in order to avoid color fading... I can't speak for the tentenal kits on the stabilizer but blix is still blix. It also doesn't last very long, were a separate fixer and bleach will last much longer once mixed so you can space out your use of the chemistry instead of worrying about it oxidizing too soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Btw it appears Ferrania will be making a 100 speed E-6 film soon... Good news....

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Internet cite please.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Internet cite please.
    It's on the forum within the first page or two of new post replies here on APUG

*sigh* EDIT: here... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/120736-film-italy-ferrania-starting-production-2014-a.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting way off topic of original post, butt Blix is NO PROBLEM at all for use and discard home development. For use within 4 weeks of mixing, it is still potent and removes all silver. Tetenal E6 kit which uses blix gives results as good as the old Kodak. 7 Bath kit, but is much more convenient and simpler to use.
    I base this on several hundred rolls over several years with the Tetenal kit.
    Blix is nbe good for a replenishment system like labs use, in which the base chemical stock is used for many months, and slowly topped up or replenished with fresh chems. It is not long term stable and should be used and discarded within 4 weeks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can agree on the need for a stabilizer but the Tentenal kit includes one.

As for Storage Kodak wrote in the instructions for their 6 bath kit,
    “For best results, store mixed solutions a maximum of 4
    weeks if stored under nitrogen or 1 week if stored in partially filled bottles. “

So I don’t see that is being a longer shelf life then the 3 bath Tentenal kit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm not an expert but PE is and so I'll believe what he said... That's all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    PE has stated many times that the blix does not fully eliminate all the silver and that over time the image can degrade, also the Arista kits don't contain stabilizer which they don't tell you you need in order to avoid color fading... I can't speak for the tentenal kits on the stabilizer but blix is still blix. It also doesn't last very long, were a separate fixer and bleach will last much longer once mixed so you can space out your use of the chemistry instead of worrying about it oxidizing too soon.

Not to dispute PE and I can't vouch for the longevity, but many of us have had absolutely no problems with three bath kits. When they first came out I was doing a lot of E6 and compared six and three bath and actually preferred the results of the Unicolor 3 bath versus the Unicolor 6 bath I had been using, by a slight margin.

Six bath is better, I won't dispute that, but if I decide to do E6 myself again, and I probably will, I will happily use three bath.

And since the kits come with the same amount of each, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't last as long. It will outlast the developer and that's all that really matters. Save up enough rolls/sheets to use the capacity of ever how much it takes to cover the film in your tanks, process that much film, and discard the solutions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin