Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 765

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Internet cite please.
    It's on the forum within the first page or two of new post replies here on APUG

*sigh* EDIT: here... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/120736-film-italy-ferrania-starting-production-2014-a.html

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting way off topic of original post, butt Blix is NO PROBLEM at all for use and discard home development. For use within 4 weeks of mixing, it is still potent and removes all silver. Tetenal E6 kit which uses blix gives results as good as the old Kodak. 7 Bath kit, but is much more convenient and simpler to use.
    I base this on several hundred rolls over several years with the Tetenal kit.
    Blix is nbe good for a replenishment system like labs use, in which the base chemical stock is used for many months, and slowly topped up or replenished with fresh chems. It is not long term stable and should be used and discarded within 4 weeks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can agree on the need for a stabilizer but the Tentenal kit includes one.

As for Storage Kodak wrote in the instructions for their 6 bath kit,
    “For best results, store mixed solutions a maximum of 4
    weeks if stored under nitrogen or 1 week if stored in partially filled bottles. “

So I don’t see that is being a longer shelf life then the 3 bath Tentenal kit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm not an expert but PE is and so I'll believe what he said... That's all

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    PE has stated many times that the blix does not fully eliminate all the silver and that over time the image can degrade, also the Arista kits don't contain stabilizer which they don't tell you you need in order to avoid color fading... I can't speak for the tentenal kits on the stabilizer but blix is still blix. It also doesn't last very long, were a separate fixer and bleach will last much longer once mixed so you can space out your use of the chemistry instead of worrying about it oxidizing too soon.

Not to dispute PE and I can't vouch for the longevity, but many of us have had absolutely no problems with three bath kits. When they first came out I was doing a lot of E6 and compared six and three bath and actually preferred the results of the Unicolor 3 bath versus the Unicolor 6 bath I had been using, by a slight margin.

Six bath is better, I won't dispute that, but if I decide to do E6 myself again, and I probably will, I will happily use three bath.

And since the kits come with the same amount of each, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't last as long. It will outlast the developer and that's all that really matters. Save up enough rolls/sheets to use the capacity of ever how much it takes to cover the film in your tanks, process that much film, and discard the solutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    I can agree on the need for a stabilizer but the Tentenal kit includes one.

As for Storage Kodak wrote in the instructions for their 6 bath kit,
    “For best results, store mixed solutions a maximum of 4
    weeks if stored under nitrogen or 1 week if stored in partially filled bottles. “

So I don’t see that is being a longer shelf life then the 3 bath Tentenal kit.
    Kodak is notoriously conservative on storage life estimates. You can usually at least double their figures IME.

OTOH, as I said, mix up only enough to do the film you need to process, and dispose of the solutions. Storage life of working strength is, to me, a non-issue. Storage life of partially full opened concentrates IS, but doesn't seem to be a problem with E6. I kept the old Unicolor stuff long enough to use up an entire gallon, better part of a year best I remember, with no problems at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm not an expert but PE is and so I'll believe what he said... That's all

I respect PE, and I assume you do too since you have cited him.
    Please let me know where and when did he said that the Tentenal kit was not good for home processing?
    HOME PROCESSING - That is where you started this on Post #97.
    NOT lab processing see post #102 and read it carefully.
    Please provide a direct link to that post where PE said that the Tentenal kit was not adequate for home processing.
    I have searched and can't find one.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 07-31-2013 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Kodak is notoriously conservative on storage life estimates.
    I totally agree.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    I respect PE, and I assume you do too since you have cited him.
    Please let me know where and when did he said that the Tentenal kit was not good for home processing?
    HOME PROCESSING - That is where you started this on Post #97.
    NOT lab processing see post #102 and read it carefully.
    Please provide a direct link to that post where PE said that the Tentenal kit was not adequate for home processing.
    I have searched and can't find one.
    There are many, I'm not going to waste my time reading through the past year of threads I'm subscribed to just to cite PE, sorry, if you don't believe me then don't. Sorry but I'm subscribed to about 1,000+ threads...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you will not waste your time to cite a source I assume you have none. Do not post and say something unless you can back it up.
    You have about 3,000 post in the last year. Most of them are just your BS.
    Of course as you also posted,
    "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin