Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,938   Online: 829

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    So sad... I still long for BW positives.
    You can reverse B&W films successfully.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just ordered some Provia 400X, in 120 and 35mm, simply because I suddenly realized that it was the only remaining slide film rated beyond ISO 100. I don't know if I've been asleep or what, but somehow I had totally missed the fact that Kodak wasn't making slide film any longer. Obviously I knew that Kodachrome was long gone, but not that they'd stopped everything else.

Though I don't shoot a lot of slide film, sometimes I like to, and sometimes it's the absolute best way of determing the quality of a lens or camera, given that what comes out of the camera is what you evaluate -- no printing variables involved.

I guess I've had my head too much in B/W if I managed to miss all this....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    100 speed is not too slow for anything but landscape work as long as you are not using a cheap zoom lens.
    In the UK (where Batwister is based) getting above 1/125, f2.8 with 100 speed film means it's a rare nice day.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks, PLEASE use your brains. Logic is the key here. Fujifilm Tokyo states, "due to decrease in world wide global demand and smaller production runs...."

Now come on! How does removing a film from North America improve ANYTHING with the above? It does not. In fact, it makes it MUCH MUCH worse since North America must be one of the largest film markets in the world. Cut out the North American market and Provia's demand will decrease even MORE and the production runs will get even smaller.

NOTE: Provia 400X and Neopan 400 did *NOT* get the new updated boxes. Coincidence? I think not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Use Provia 100F pushed two stops. No big deal.
    Except if you were pushing Provia 400X one or two stops. How's 100F going to help you there? Answer: It won't.

I pushed Provia 400X to ISO800 with very nice results. Far better than I would have expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    In the UK (where Batwister is based) getting above 1/125, f2.8 with 100 speed film means it's a rare nice day.
    Heh heh...

Yeah, I also recognize* that 5-stop reduction, heavy overcast, endlessly rainy days and weeks at a time for 10+ months out of every 12... exposure.

Ken

* Greater Seattle, Washington, USA region.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed. I'm surprised the UK market isn't exclusively offered P3200TMZ and ISO1600 color films. Suicidal weather.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Folks, PLEASE use your brains. Logic is the key here. Fujifilm Tokyo states, "due to decrease in world wide global demand and smaller production runs...."

Now come on! How does removing a film from North America improve ANYTHING with the above? It does not. In fact, it makes it MUCH MUCH worse since North America must be one of the largest film markets in the world. Cut out the North American market and Provia's demand will decrease even MORE and the production runs will get even smaller.

NOTE: Provia 400X and Neopan 400 did *NOT* get the new updated boxes. Coincidence? I think not.
    Are you sure the asian markets don't use film more? They have TONS of cameras for sale I've heard, all the time piles of them buying and selling, I would guess (and it's not based on anything but speculation) that there's more sales there than here, they wouldn't just cancel here in the US if there weren't reasons.

I also think many of the users of slide films, had split between Kodak and Fuji, and when Kodak went out of the slide world, lots of people "stocked up" and so there wasn't much increase for fuji in the purchase of new fujichrome the way they would have expected, and by the time people run out of the kodak stuff, fuji had already gotten there projected numbers and they weren't showing what they had expected and pulled out too soon... sad...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Use Provia 100F pushed two stops. No big deal.
    Provia 100F shot at 320 and pushed 2 stops looks pretty good. A slight shift to the red but not bad.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Surely Provia 400 sold better than 100?

There's no way of assessing this on Flickr anymore however, due to the new design... i.e., can't compare page counts for 400 vs 100.
    Last edited by batwister; 07-22-2013 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin