Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,260   Online: 1143

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What, film in general or E6?

Truth is, I generally prefer prints and print film, but I've been shooting mostly slides the past couple of years when I shoot color because I DO like to project them and I figure I'd best do it while I can.
    Film in general but particularly E-6 since its next to go probably. I try not to put down films that I don't like that are still in production, like I'll bash EFKE because it was terribly unreliable and no longer around, but I won't talk about Foma even though most of it isn't to my liking. The only one I hate on is Tmax400 and only because I personally can't get the look I want from it, but many like it so I'm more loud about it because I can't figure it out, I'm sure it's great, I just suck at using it LOL.

But yes E-6 needs our support! Please! If you can, shoot a roll/sheet and show people how beautiful it is! (I actually carry a non-pick image in my wallet to show people the colors of a 120 shot I took of a model, it gets people excited (about film).

You can't say the same about looking at portra (at least not as much).

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe not but you can about a well printed Ektar. And if you carry a print made from the transparency I doubt it's going to look any better than it could from negative film.

E6 is good, and nothing really beats the impact of a vivid, detailed image projected large, but I lost a lot of interest in it when analog methods of printing it all went away.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Btw it appears Ferrania will be making a 100 speed E-6 film soon... Good news....

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lantern slide (3 1/4"x4 !/4") projector can be had cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Btw it appears Ferrania will be making a 100 speed E-6 film soon... Good news....

If true, and if it doesn't suck, that's great news. If it's moderate saturation and contrast it's even better news (but even less likely, I think.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Maybe not but you can about a well printed Ektar. And if you carry a print made from the transparency I doubt it's going to look any better than it could from negative film.

E6 is good, and nothing really beats the impact of a vivid, detailed image projected large, but I lost a lot of interest in it when analog methods of printing it all went away.

LOL! I do beg to differ. A lot!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

I agree ^^ that said... it's hard to get them made now with no paper available... the hybrid process I use makes some beautiful prints (real chemical prints, just hybrid projection process), but not the same as ilfochrome, which was better than RA4 in look IMHO... I've only seen a few ... but they were magical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree ^^ that said... it's hard to get them made now with no paper available... the hybrid process I use makes some beautiful prints (real chemical prints, just hybrid projection process), but not the same as ilfochrome, which was better than RA4 in look IMHO... I've only seen a few ... but they were magical.

Oh yes, Ilfo was the bees' knees compared to the 'poor cousin' RA4/ The trouble with Ilfochrome though is the restrictive two-grade contrast, among a litany of so many, many other problems with the media not worth rehashing here for the umpteenth time. I wish the folk here could see the results of hybridized printing: framed prints under spots. It's not done by inkjet either, but traditional photographic exposure using RGB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0785_060.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	72130

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0786_061.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	72131
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

Why? They're going to be scanned and output via lightjet or inkjet anyway. Other than the one from transparency having too much contrast, I doubt you'll notice much difference.

On, no negative film quite has Velvia saturation anymore (since Agfa Ultra 50 is long gone - man that was a saturated neg film) but if you print the negatives via hybrid like that you can juice up the saturation to suit, if that's your cup of tea. Ektar 100 is pretty darned saturated already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen, and made, more than a few. They could look great IF the original transparency was perfect. Anything other than flat lighting needed masking or at least extensive dodging/burning. I never got into masking. Some slides still printed great. Some needed a masking whiz to make a decent print.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin