Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 870

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Purple rocks and excessively green water means it's probably Velvia. But that's just a guess.

Might be a good guess; mine is that it's unfiltered Velvia 100 (can be hideously magenta-ish), too.
    Also UV penetration and degradation of print. Can't pass any sort of judgement really on the traditionally piss-poor iPhone snaps... Step up to the soapbox sir and tell us what it was!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Might be a good guess; mine is that it's unfiltered Velvia 100 (can be hideously magenta-ish), too.
    Also UV penetration and degradation of print. Can't pass any sort of judgement really on the traditionally piss-poor iPhone snaps... Step up to the soapbox sir and tell us what it was!
    Just posted a link to the image on the gallery right before your post... and I just checked, it's definitely Provia100f, I used a Circular Polarizer, the Mamiya 7 specific one at full polarization strength so that helped.

Here's the link again...

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=59230
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-25-2013 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Purple rocks and excessively green water means it's probably Velvia. But that's just a guess.
    Indeed, how I HATE those excessive colours the E6 brings. Makes me want to shoot bayer-digital, the most "natural" looking unexcessive colors on planet Earth! I will never ever bother with E6 anymore since verything is EXCESSIVE and ugly, oversaturated, just horrible those E6 films are... And that's Provia, Astia and E100G included - better shoot a bayer-sensored dSLR digital for much more humble almost unnoticable mathematically calculated colors

Provia vs Velvia "humbleness":

Tanjung Aan beach by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

European Southern Observatory (ESO) by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Reflections (i) by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Old Believers church by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Reflections (ii) by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Frozen landscape by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Baltic Sea by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

After reading this E6 "bashing", looking at my E6 pics now I think I've made a most horrifing mistake in my life, I should've switched to humble digital long time ago or de-saturate and de-contrast all of my pics ASAP! Why I even shot the E6 in the first place? It's just beyond me! Especially now when they're considered very poor, horrible, excessive and oversaturated films by so many well regarded pro photographers. Will I ever grow up?

Cheers,
    Margus
    Last edited by tsiklonaut; 07-26-2013 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a particular fav of mine from your shots:

Marathonist by tsiklonaut, on Flickr
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Margus, you've gone nuts or something. I didn't bash Velvia in this case, I just said it looked like Velvia. When over used it's a look I don't particularly care for, but some people do. And Ektar 100 can be over saturated for some things too, not to mention the potential abuses hybrid processing opens up. But used to add some pop in flat lighting Velvia can be great.

I still find most modern E6 films - well I guess that's only two now - over saturated and overly contrasty for my personal tastes. YMMV of course. You're right, color neg doesn't really look like that unless you torture it into it in hybrid post processing. Provia is manageable for "normal slides" as I'd call them if the light isn't too harsh.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post

After reading this E6 "bashing", looking at my E6 pics now I think I've made a most horrifing mistake in my life, I should've switched to humble digital long time ago or de-saturate and de-contrast all of my pics ASAP! Why I even shot the E6 in the first place? It's just beyond me! Especially now when they're considered very poor, horrible, excessive and oversaturated films by so many well regarded pro photographers. Will I ever grow up?

Cheers,
    Margus
    For someone who doesn't like vivid color film, you sure make a lot of beautiful colorful images.

Ferrania claims to be making E-6 soon, perhaps there's will be more muted

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheers guys,

It's my nature to be sarcastic about whining

Just shoot whatever fits your bill and keep the E6 film alive, or at least that little we have left

Margus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
    Just shoot whatever fits your bill and keep the E6 film alive, or at least that little we have left

Margus
    amen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FYI I just got a big box of 35mm 400x from Unique Photo.
    They had the best price I could find and the expiration date is Jan 2015.
    They also sell Fuji Slide film Mailers that are processed by Dwayne's Photo.
    I use a lot of them, I ordered 50 in early 2012 and they had an expiration date of 12-31-2013.
    That was about a 2 year life span.
    They were out of stock but Fuji just printed another batch with dates of 3-31-2014.
    So it looks like Fuji will keep the contract with Dwayne's at least a little longer.
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/p...ome-600006359/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    FYI I just got a big box of 35mm 400x from Unique Photo.
    They had the best price I could find and the expiration date is Jan 2015.
    They also sell Fuji Slide film Mailers that are processed by Dwayne's Photo.
    I use a lot of them, I ordered 50 in early 2012 and they had an expiration date of 12-31-2013.
    That was about a 2 year life span.
    They were out of stock but Fuji just printed another batch with dates of 3-31-2014.
    So it looks like Fuji will keep the contract with Dwayne's at least a little longer.
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/p...ome-600006359/
    Question (2 actually)

1. With those mailers can you send more than one roll of film in each mailer?

And two, how much are they?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin