Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,210   Online: 1115

Shooter
    35mm

Getting Fujicolor to lie flat

I had some Fujicolor I sent in to be processed. I told them not to cut it since it was shot on a Widelux. They returned it in a plastic photo container and the film has a terrible curl to it. Should I soak it in water and hang it to get the curl out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends how you plan to scan it.

With a drumscanner or an Imacon it's no problem to get it flat even if originals are extremely curly. Other scanners may have difficulties if they don't have special glass carriers, or wet-mount carriers.

One trick I've used in the past is to re-roll them "inside-out" (emulsion-side out), but don't make too tight roll, then fix it with some "moneydash" rubber - be careful you can twist the emulsion too much (I've went to extremes before by making the roll too small and damaged my emulsion on some frames). Let it stay in this mildly loose roll for a day and they're flat after that.

Normally I just cut them up and let them sit in my (almost-full) negative pocket for a few days and they're pretty much flat after that, enough for me to start working with them conveniently through my drum scanner. Sometimes I rewash and use wetting agent aided drying again only if the originals are extremely dirty, they'll still curl up after drying so there's no help from re-washing in terms of curling.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever you do, DO NOT soak in water! Unlike B&W films, washing is not the last step.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't put your color film in water. It will remove the stabilizer and shorten the life of your negatives!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most roll film has some curl to it. There should be no issue if you use a glass negative carrier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin