Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,325   Online: 925

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems that is exactly what happens - they just go away. What about the EFKE formulations? AFAIK there is no intention to ever produce an EFKE film again, so what's the harm in telling us how it works, especially if moving production from one line to another is not an easy thing to do anyway? Maybe someone else has licensed or owns the IP by this time, I don't know. But from what I know of it, they weren't particularly up to date formulas and there are plenty junior emulsion makers here that would just love to see under the hood.

EFKE films were black and white films, not color, but my point being the data hasn't shown up anywhere so yes, when they quit it seems that they just go into that big emulsion kettle in the sky.

That's true, but they had to make progress, keep the taxpayers happy and actually achieve the goal. It wasn't entirely open loop. Like the post about someone starting up their own chemical plant above, if someone has the will to make the effort to produce small runs of color films profitably, they will figure out how to do so. It may not be easy, they might have to start from scratch or they might buy/license technology. They might have some of the 200 emulsion engineers available to them or they may not. I do not know how it would be done - all I am saying is that if someone really wants to do it then they will find a way and make it happen. Someone says they are going to do this at Ferrania. We'll see how badly they want to get it done in the next few months, I suppose.
    I have been trying to ignore these EFKE comments but I can't any longer, because its a terrible example, efke film is just awful, terrible QC, that ugly "EFKEitis" spots all over the film... Who in their right mind would bother taking any knowledge from them, they obviously weren't good at what they did...

I know your point is about the release of information but I'm a little slighted, I wasted about $100 on efke film and all of it was useless and defective, and they had already closed so I had little recourse. I can see why they closed... But at least I got some 127 backing paper, so there's the silver lining I guess...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Yes, BTW--I remember Apollo 1 probably once a month or 2 and always have. Not to sidetracK the thread. Grissom, White, and Chaffee. I was 10 years old, and can never forget it. I have this on my hard drive:
    I met Gus on two occasions. Once when I was working in hangar "S" and another when I was being "introduced" to Ham, the chimp. The chimp tried to spray me with water from his hose while Gus looked on and laughed.

Apollo 1 was about 3 years after I left the Cape.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I met Gus on two occasions. Once when I was working in hangar "S" and another when I was being "introduced" to Ham, the chimp. The chimp tried to spray me with water from his hose while Gus looked on and laughed.

Apollo 1 was about 3 years after I left the Cape.

PE
    Chimp must have been flirting with you Ron, he liked you... Haha

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    that ugly "EFKEitis" spots all over the film... Who in their right mind would bother taking any knowledge from them, they obviously weren't good at what they did...
    They obviously weren't very good at doing it but it's possible that it was a perfectly good emulsion coated in an unsuitable way - e.g. not a clean enough environment.

In which case it might be worth learning the emulsion making technique but improving the coating method.

I assume the bits in between the 'Efkeitis spots' worked ok!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, LX, we have had remarkable success with solid fuel rockets. They do store and handle very well. If you could have seen the problems with fueling and storing liquid fuels, you might change your mind. In fact, many of the "holds" were due to liquid fuel problems such as stuck valves and excess pressure.

But we digress. Sorry.

PE
    Solid fuel rockets are relatively simple and reliable. They are also lower performance, cannot be throttled, and cannot be stopped once they are started. And their fuel manufacture requires some nasty stuff. There is a reason liquid fuel rockets have been used for the really big payloads, despite their complexity.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it was black spots, chances are it was an emulsion problem.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    How difficult would it be for them to build a scaled down machine to meet the smaller market? I know this does not match the mindset in Rochester
    It might not work for Kodak, but if Ilford's sales ever dropped to a small fraction of what they are now, I'm sure they could run a scaled down business using their pilot machine.

Lets hope it never comes to that though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I have been trying to ignore these EFKE comments but I can't any longer, because its a terrible example, efke film is just awful, terrible QC, that ugly "EFKEitis" spots all over the film... Who in their right mind would bother taking any knowledge from them, they obviously weren't good at what they did...

I know your point is about the release of information but I'm a little slighted, I wasted about $100 on efke film and all of it was useless and defective, and they had already closed so I had little recourse. I can see why they closed...
    Man, that's really EFKE'd up!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If it was black spots, chances are it was an emulsion problem.

PE
    Yes that's exactly what it was, I was told they had emulsion issues in that there QC was bad and would often send out this kind of film, though sometimes they got lucky and had a good run, hit or miss is no way to run a business...

I was told it possibly was a static issue, though I think YOU might have said that Ron haha.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Man, that's really EFKE'd up!
    Haha exactly!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin