Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,099   Online: 799

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I met Gus on two occasions. Once when I was working in hangar "S" and another when I was being "introduced" to Ham, the chimp. The chimp tried to spray me with water from his hose while Gus looked on and laughed.

Apollo 1 was about 3 years after I left the Cape.

PE
    That's neat. Thank you. I talked to a man (PE) who talked to Gus Grissom. I'm honored. His was a death I never accepted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They obviously weren't very good at doing it but it's possible that it was a perfectly good emulsion coated in an unsuitable way - e.g. not a clean enough environment.
    There's pictures around somewhere: water on the floor, holes in the roof. That may have happened after their demise but not a place to run any kind of dirt sensitive production. Yet, at least some of the time, they produced a serviceable product. I feel most of the problems were in coating. Like you say the emulsion itself may have been OK. I used some EFKE but it was not my favorite.

Regardless, nobody is giving out the secrets of higher speed emulsions - Efke or otherwise. If they aren't going to make any more of it, what's to lose? Not that many folks are going to try to make up a batch and other manufacturers have better stuff already. Besides, there are likely specialty materials involved that we cannot just go out and buy. A business would find a way to get them supplied or make themselves but very possibly not likely for the hobbyist maker. (Although you never know)
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    not a place to run any kind of dirt sensitive production. Yet, at least some of the time, they produced a serviceable product.
    Yes. So rather than ditch the whole operation, see if it can be improved.

Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes. So rather than ditch the whole operation, see if it can be improved.

Steve.
    Fair enough.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Ok, you have spelled out the enormous barrier to entry for a new company, but how about for a company that's already making the product but whose machine is waaaay too big? How difficult would it be for them to build a scaled down machine to meet the smaller market? I know this does not match the mindset in Rochester...
    You hinted at the critical point. Even if there would be a predictable profit the mindset at supreme managements is that film is dying.

Even a high-rank manager now hailed for his commitment to film (not Simon or Mirko) shared this doomsday view. He then got the incentive and expertise from outside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yes that's exactly what it was, I was told they had emulsion issues in that there QC was bad and would often send out this kind of film, though sometimes they got lucky and had a good run, hit or miss is no way to run a business...

I was told it possibly was a static issue, though I think YOU might have said that Ron haha.

Bad emulsion gives black spots, static gives black lines that look like lightning bolts.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bad emulsion gives black spots, static gives black lines that look like lightning bolts.

PE
    They looked like pieces of black rice...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too much rice in the emulsion.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Too much rice in the emulsion.
    Bahahahhaha!!! surely, too much haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought it was made in Europe and not in China!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin