Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,256   Posts: 1,660,459   Online: 984

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    they tried re-ententing the colour market with rebranded films the idea being to build up sales to a level where it might be economic to begin manufacture but competion was too strong.
    In that case, they most likely could do it. It's just not economically viable at the moment.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In that case, they most likely could do it. It's just not economically viable at the moment.

Steve.

This is why I wonder about the Ilford colour film I saw on sale in istanbul about 3 years ago, it was in Ilford style packaging and on the shelves in the Ilford importer/distributor.

XP1 was the second B&W C41 film the first was Agaf Variopan which was truly awful, then Ilford began making the Fuji version as well as atheir high speed B&W film. I remember the agreement being reported in the UK financial papers. For many years Fuji didn't sell these films in the UK/US but they began to be imported privately.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes. XP2.

I was wondering if the fact that it was C41 meant they were close to having colour capability or if the colour part adds a lot of extra complexity.

It obviously does but are they over half way there already with a C41 film?
    A b&w C-41 film is far closer to a classic b&w film than to any kind of colour film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In an earlier thread on a similar subject, Simon Galley posted and said that Ilford had no intention of entering the color film market. I'm sure he is tired of hearing this repeated question. He probably gets it at every trade show and in e-mails.

As for a B&W C41 film, it is not similar to a color film. It usually has one or two emulsion layers with a single chemical that turns black in the C41 process. A black dye forms, and the silver is removed during the process. There is nothing very exotic about it except for a chemical that forms this dye.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that E-6 is literally at death's door, and APUG is a film-centric enthusiast forum, I don't see the harm in engaging in a little good-natured speculation about the future of color film. Once Kodak's latest MP film contract expires C-41 will likely find itself in the exact same predicament that E-6 is in right now, thus spawning another round of these same good-natured discussions.

As for the mantra that "people have said in the past...", well, the past is in the past precisely because we are now in what was once the future. I'm pretty certain that only a few short years ago Kodak could never have imagined reinventing itself into a box-printing company (or whatever it is that they are, or want to be, right now), let alone a bankrupt box-printing company. Yet look at them today. Times changed.

Similarly, who would have predicted that Fujifilm would diversify their film operations to the point where it appears that facial cream is now more important to their bottom line than photographic film? Yet look at them today. Times changed.

Times do change. Market conditions do change. Opinions do change. It's an inescapable fact of business and life. Just because something doesn't make sense yesterday for one company doesn't always mean it won't make sense tomorrow for another company.

At least for the glass-might-be-half-full camp.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ...I'm mildly surprised that Simon has not yet shown up here to gently slap some sense into us...
    Simon's most recent APUG activity was on July 19, before this thread appeared. Given his remarkable patience and tolerance for repetitious questions, I'd not be surprised if he does give the same answer whenever he does return.

...who would have predicted that Fujifilm would diversify their film operations to the point where it appears that facial cream is now more important to their bottom line than photographic film...
    Me. But, as with numerous other predictions I've made in the last one and a half decades, most in areas off limits to discussion on APUG, all of which turned out to be correct, nobody listens to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally prefer Ilford to concentrate on what is it excels, limits its scope and product line, and stay profitable as long as it can....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Given his remarkable patience and tolerance for repetitious questions, I'd not be surprised if he does give the same answer whenever he does return.
    I'd bet on it. And right now it would still be the absolutely correct answer.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...And right now it would still be the absolutely correct answer...
    OK, let's add to the list of predictions I make that nobody will listen to. It will be the absolutely correct answer for as long as HARMAN exists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    WOW 13 pages and I got the first reply posted to my email account today? What hap to the subscription feature?

Thanks for all the feedback. Just wish it would have come in on a timely fashion.
    Check your settings, you may have your notifications set to "once a day" or "once a week" instead of each post.

Anyway you should take the time to read through, there's good info here, why create a thread you won't read?lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin