Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,230   Online: 820

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes. XP2.

I was wondering if the fact that it was C41 meant they were close to having colour capability or if the colour part adds a lot of extra complexity.

It obviously does but are they over half way there already with a C41 film?

Steve.
    Interesting thought. It might have been a forethought in the event the others fall that they do actually have the capability to amp up on color rather quickly being they are already making C-41.

Sadly I don't use that film, it's not that I don't like the look from what I've seen, it's that I don't like C-41 color chemistry doing it all myself, and I don't really use labs to process my stuff... ah well...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    For a thread titled Ilford Color Film? I'm mildly surprised that Simon has not yet shown up here to gently slap some sense into us. Being able to tell us "no way, no how, not now, not ever" and then have us all profusely thank him afterward for that response is quite the unique skill he possesses. And uses to great effect. Perhaps he is on holiday?

Ken
    Ilford have already stated they have no intention of entering the colour film market again. However it's worth noting that some of their senior management have Patents etc in the colour field, As Steve Smith points out they do make XP-2 which is essentially a colour emulsion although it's a B&W C41 process film.

Ilford have a niche market for their B&W materials, they tried re-ententing the colour market with rebranded films the idea being to build up sales to a level where it might be economic to begin manufacture but competion was too strong.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    WOW 13 pages and I got the first reply posted to my email account today? What hap to the subscription feature?

Thanks for all the feedback. Just wish it would have come in on a timely fashion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    For a thread titled Ilford Color Film? I'm mildly surprised that Simon has not yet shown up here to gently slap some sense into us. Being able to tell us "no way, no how, not now, not ever" and then have us all profusely thank him afterward for that response is quite the unique skill he possesses. And uses to great effect. Perhaps he is on holiday?

Ken
    Why is that? Maybe you can take over for him and give me the Simon rundown. Is he a pure BW devotee? Or does he want Ilford to not get sidetracked?

Shooter
    35mm
    Since I just got notified of a single reply, I didn't have time to read all 13 pages. But it sounds like Ilford was not capable of making a competitive color film with Kodak. Was that the issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As Steve Smith points out they do make XP-2 which is essentially a colour emulsion although it's a B&W C41 process film.
    My dim and distant memory seems to recall that this was a collaboration with Fujifilm.

Not sure if this is true as it was on Wikipedia. Interesting if it is true.

Ilford produces a similar film known as XP2 Super. Fuji markets a third film called Neopan 400CN, which is also manufactured by Ilford.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-24-2013 at 08:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    they tried re-ententing the colour market with rebranded films the idea being to build up sales to a level where it might be economic to begin manufacture but competion was too strong.
    In that case, they most likely could do it. It's just not economically viable at the moment.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In that case, they most likely could do it. It's just not economically viable at the moment.

Steve.

This is why I wonder about the Ilford colour film I saw on sale in istanbul about 3 years ago, it was in Ilford style packaging and on the shelves in the Ilford importer/distributor.

XP1 was the second B&W C41 film the first was Agaf Variopan which was truly awful, then Ilford began making the Fuji version as well as atheir high speed B&W film. I remember the agreement being reported in the UK financial papers. For many years Fuji didn't sell these films in the UK/US but they began to be imported privately.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. XP2.

I was wondering if the fact that it was C41 meant they were close to having colour capability or if the colour part adds a lot of extra complexity.

It obviously does but are they over half way there already with a C41 film?
    A b&w C-41 film is far closer to a classic b&w film than to any kind of colour film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In an earlier thread on a similar subject, Simon Galley posted and said that Ilford had no intention of entering the color film market. I'm sure he is tired of hearing this repeated question. He probably gets it at every trade show and in e-mails.

As for a B&W C41 film, it is not similar to a color film. It usually has one or two emulsion layers with a single chemical that turns black in the C41 process. A black dye forms, and the silver is removed during the process. There is nothing very exotic about it except for a chemical that forms this dye.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin