Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,623   Online: 961

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that E-6 is literally at death's door, and APUG is a film-centric enthusiast forum, I don't see the harm in engaging in a little good-natured speculation about the future of color film. Once Kodak's latest MP film contract expires C-41 will likely find itself in the exact same predicament that E-6 is in right now, thus spawning another round of these same good-natured discussions.

As for the mantra that "people have said in the past...", well, the past is in the past precisely because we are now in what was once the future. I'm pretty certain that only a few short years ago Kodak could never have imagined reinventing itself into a box-printing company (or whatever it is that they are, or want to be, right now), let alone a bankrupt box-printing company. Yet look at them today. Times changed.

Similarly, who would have predicted that Fujifilm would diversify their film operations to the point where it appears that facial cream is now more important to their bottom line than photographic film? Yet look at them today. Times changed.

Times do change. Market conditions do change. Opinions do change. It's an inescapable fact of business and life. Just because something doesn't make sense yesterday for one company doesn't always mean it won't make sense tomorrow for another company.

At least for the glass-might-be-half-full camp.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ...I'm mildly surprised that Simon has not yet shown up here to gently slap some sense into us...
    Simon's most recent APUG activity was on July 19, before this thread appeared. Given his remarkable patience and tolerance for repetitious questions, I'd not be surprised if he does give the same answer whenever he does return.

...who would have predicted that Fujifilm would diversify their film operations to the point where it appears that facial cream is now more important to their bottom line than photographic film...
    Me. But, as with numerous other predictions I've made in the last one and a half decades, most in areas off limits to discussion on APUG, all of which turned out to be correct, nobody listens to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally prefer Ilford to concentrate on what is it excels, limits its scope and product line, and stay profitable as long as it can....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Given his remarkable patience and tolerance for repetitious questions, I'd not be surprised if he does give the same answer whenever he does return.
    I'd bet on it. And right now it would still be the absolutely correct answer.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...And right now it would still be the absolutely correct answer...
    OK, let's add to the list of predictions I make that nobody will listen to. It will be the absolutely correct answer for as long as HARMAN exists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    WOW 13 pages and I got the first reply posted to my email account today? What hap to the subscription feature?

Thanks for all the feedback. Just wish it would have come in on a timely fashion.
    Check your settings, you may have your notifications set to "once a day" or "once a week" instead of each post.

Anyway you should take the time to read through, there's good info here, why create a thread you won't read?lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    OK, let's add to the list of predictions I make that nobody will listen to. It will be the absolutely correct answer for as long as HARMAN exists.
    You may very well be correct, Sal. Or you may not.

One of the most difficult things in life I've found to be the case is the attempt to get people to set aside their comfort, fear and inertia in order to try peering into the future. It's an enormously difficult and stressful task for most individuals. And the reasons behind that difficulty have always escaped me, as it's something that I've found just comes as second nature.

The collective comfort that comes from actively ignoring the past. And the fear that a person has that they might be seen as wrong, especially in public. And the inertia that comes from repeating the exact same thought processes over and over. And any other personal agendas which may be at work. All of these play a part, I'm sure.

But that stubborn refusal to even consider any possibilities beyond the immediate present just baffles me no end. Just asking someone to take a peek into the crystal ball is like pulling teeth. It's as if time for these individuals has frozen in the current moment, now and forever.

Which, I suppose, also helps explain your difficulties with getting people to listen to your predictions...

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I happen to agree with Sal, and it fact, that is exactly what I have been saying. The only difference is that I give the technical reasons behind my "prediction".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I happen to agree with Sal, and it fact, that is exactly what I have been saying. The only difference is that I give the technical reasons behind my "prediction".
    You may very well be correct, Ron. Or you may not.

When it comes to times and circumstances changing in the future, possibilities are like that...

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think our questions about right-sized production of color film (c41 and e6) have just been addressed today over in the Ferrania thread.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin