Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,279   Online: 944

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I think our questions about right-sized production of color film (c41 and e6) have just been addressed today over in the Ferrania thread.
    Yes they will be making a new E-6 (based on an old one I'm understanding). Also Adox will be making one of their films available in 70mm, 127, 110, etc etc etc basically all roll films and even special orders of even ONE ROLL in their new small scale facility.

So there's hope for scaled down places to make film forever... like the buggy whip... haha how many times has that guy talked about the buggy whip ... haha but it is true, on a small scale it would be possible to keep film around forever. I hope so...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be aware that this all is a statement of intent. As hinted at repeatedly here at Apug the market at least for middle of the road films is marked by the price. And with C-41 films still available for about a Dollar from high productive competitors, how could a new enterprise described as low volume compete with them?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Be aware that this all is a statement of intent. As hinted at repeatedly here at Apug the market at least for middle of the road films is marked by the price. And with C-41 films still available for about a Dollar from high productive competitors, how could a new enterprise described as low volume compete with them?
    by offering sizes not available elsewhere, getting them hooked on that film, and then because we often use multiple cameras, easier to standardize on a look we are familiar with so they buy a bunch of different sizes for the same film type... or at least own the market in that format since no one else is making it.

That's my idea anyway.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Producing a new film just to gain a conversion competitors do not offer does not seem economic under given circumstances.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Producing a new film just to gain a conversion competitors do not offer does not seem economic under given circumstances.
    It's about scale... they only need a small share, and I'll certainly buy their E-6 if it's even halfway good and less than Provia for a lot of color work, Still would use fuji for other work, but can't get that in 127 or 110, or 126, or 70mm or 116/616 etc... get my drift... and there's a lot of cameras out there with no film... I don't think Ilford will do this, it's not big enough for them, at least not now. But they may partner with, or buy out a smaller color production house, perhaps in 10 years, when one or both of the other two film giants collapse, and then it will make sense. it's about timing and market... I'm not saying they should now, that would be dumb, but someday... it might make sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely true. Can't make omelettes until the chicken lays the eggs.

However...

A proposed reintroduced (reworked) C-41 product? A proposed reintroduced (reworked) E-6 product? What are these guys thinking? Obviously they have not been reading this thread. Don't they realize those two tasks are impossible to accomplish? Or to even look far enough into the future to consider even trying to do?

How dare they?

They may try. They may, or may not, succeed. In either case it may be time again to dust off a little Teddy Roosevelt for the inspiration of our resident your-glass-is-definitely-half-empty crowd:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." —Theodore Roosevelt

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, the Film Ferrania statement and the Ilfourd colour film issue are now mixed up in this thread.

Film Ferrania should not have basical technical problems manufacturing any colour film when resorting to Ferrania people, technology and machinery.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Absolutely true. Can't make omelettes until the chicken lays the eggs.

However...

A proposed reintroduced (reworked) C-41 product? A proposed reintroduced (reworked) E-6 product? What are these guys thinking? Obviously they have not been reading this thread. Don't they realize those two tasks are impossible to accomplish? Or to even look far enough into the future to consider even trying to do?

How dare they?

They may try. They may, or may not, succeed. In either case it may be time again to dust off a little Teddy Roosevelt for the inspiration of our resident your-glass-is-definitely-half-empty crowd:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." —Theodore Roosevelt

Ken
    Don't be such a nay sayer... anything in film production attempts is a good thing, who knows... it could work... obviously they have the backing to do it, so they are proceeding, lets encourage them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that Ferrania was a 3M subsidiary for a while until they were spun back off again due to low sales. They were a tiny player and I knew some of their R&D people. Good people, but the film was mediocre at the time I checked it out. If it is "frozen" at that time period, expect a 1970s or 1970s film compared to today.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Don't be such a nay sayer... anything in film production attempts is a good thing, who knows... it could work... obviously they have the backing to do it, so they are proceeding, lets encourage them.
    I think (hope) Ken was experimenting with sarcasm!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin