Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,229   Online: 820

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Too much rice in the emulsion.
    Some people like grain in their pictures.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    If the rest of the world wants to walk around with their pants pulled down and a cellphone pocket god, I will turn my sore eyes in another direction. I have no intention of participating in their careless lifestyle.
    You're talking about young people here, not photography.

I hate living in a day and time when everything I have spent a lifetime getting good at is all dying.
    Pics or it didn't happen. (young people say this)

I don't want to "save" film from extinction; I do not want to be an activist.--I just want it to be there. I abhor the activist mentality, and will not be one on this subject either.
    This is because you're old.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    You're talking about young people here, not photography.

Pics or it didn't happen. (young people say this)

This is because you're old.
    Probably should have let this one bake for another thirty minutes before clicking Submit...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I would like Ilford to market some color films, not necessarily make them. Seems like they are the only company that has their act together with regard to a long-term plan, marketing, and customer service.
    An excellent suggestion....maybe Simon could comment? I would not have thought that this would take a large capital outlay, and, given that UK Poundland can sell Kodak and Agfa 35mm color neg at £1 per roll (= $1.50 ) presumably at a worthwhile profit, it would seem there would be a reasonable return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak and Fuji can sell film at a low price because their manufacturing process is so fast and efficient.

But, I spent nearly 60 years learning and using photography. Analog photography! I know most all details of its manufacturing and processing. I don't want to be an activist at my age, but I will not see the skills that I learned die.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 07-25-2013 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Well, I typed in 70 instead of 60 years. Sorry.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Stone, if digital is better than E6, then why do you use E6 instead of digital?

But, OTOH, as you and Ken point out, there is a market for Lobo and TIP products. This is one that went by under my radar and I am sorry. Yes, it may be a viable source of customers, but these customers will tend to be less critical that most of us wrt color, grain and sharpness. So yes, I do agree with you on those points.

PE
    Ok I'll clarify...

There are probably some films that are finer grained technically than the pixel count on a sensor, and if you are a perfect printer and own an enlarger that can print 20x30 prints and own trays that can process them and a full darkroom to do the work, and the chemistry and source the paper for such a job etc. then a 35mm image on film can print as detailed as a digital camera can or better if sticking to a full traditional process. Or possibly if you can afford a drum scan you potentially could get as sharp an image with a scan then printed chemically with the hybrid projector thing however that works. But for all realistic purposes for the normal photographer, you can't really make bigger than maybe an 8x10 print or 11x14 for some advanced non-pro's (or even some pro's). So for most realistic purposes digital can more easily and reasonably printed on a finer scale than film of a comparable size... now if you go to 120 film or Large Format, obviously there's not competition in the difficulty to get the finest grain, but again the whole process of printing optically is very costly if you don't have the setup and materials and have to start from scratch.

And if you're nobody like me, it doesn't matter how good your prints are, no one will pay the high price for a print that was done optically if you're a nobody.

I shoot film because for one I like the LOOK better, I care about the grain to a point so I shoot medium format mostly and now some LF now that I have my first 4x5, and since I hybrid process by scanning first, I can send the scanned image to the lab, and they print it chemically somehow, which costs a bit more than the places that print them with ink, but not so much more that I"m shocked by the price, so it's worth it to get a real chemical print and it doesn't cost me an entire darkroom setup to do it...

Anyway, I think I've lost my point... or forgotten what the heck I was even responding to, so I'll shut up now. But I shoot film because I like the look, and the process better, that doesn't mean I don't recognize that my digital camera doesn't produce more detailed images, just that detail isn't everything and the artistic vision I create with film satisfies me more. So better is all perspective.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kodak and Fuji can sell film at a low price because their manufacturing process is so fast and efficient.

But, I spent nearly 70 years learning and using photography. Analog photography! I know most all details of its manufacturing and processing. I don't want to be an activist at my age, but I will not see the skills that I learned die.

PE
    In what universe, where, are those two selling color film at a low price....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    In what universe, where, are those two selling color film at a low price....
    Go back to Ken's post. It's not as cheap as it was - but it isn't exactly fine dining prices. Still affordable - but not if you want to shoot 20 rolls of crap.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    N.B. I think 'clayne' may be referring to this post I made in reply to a 'Mirko' post yesterday in another thread...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I have lead you into a trap.
    Umm... is your darkroom made of gingerbread?

Ignore me, I've been home sick all week and am just having one of those smart-ass moments.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin