Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,990   Online: 847

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really hope Harman/Ilford won't get into making colour stuff. I think that would be a bad idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I really hope Harman/Ilford won't get into making colour stuff. I think that would be a bad idea.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could they do it?

Of course they could. It wouldn't even be a first for them.

Should they do it?

Absolutely not... right now.

Would they do it?

One of the things I've learned in life is that things almost never happen for the reasons you think or expect them to happen. Outcomes are rarely orderly and/or predictable. But conversely, things DO always happen for a reason. And when they do happen the reasons behind are often astounding in their occurrence.

So what if there were no more color film? Or even colour film? No more consumer film. No more motion picture film. Nothing. But there still remained a small but viable niche of ardent film photographers with film cameras, some available disposable income, and a yearning for the old days?

Color/colour film? They've done it before. According to Ian, they were poised to do it again in the early 80s. It looks like they even had a poster at one time. There wouldn't be any other major competition. Maybe the world economy would by then have improved. Their black & white brand and their company reputation are now the gold standard. Their customer base is so loyal and trusting that they'd probably let the company babysit their kids to free up time for Ilford color/colour photography.

I dunno'. You tell me...

Would they do it?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I genuinely had to read that a good five times before I got it.
    That's because you don't drive on the wrong side of the road

pentauser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Could they do it?

Of course they could. It wouldn't even be a first for them.
    Technically they seem to be way behind the big ones concerning coating technology. At least at first sight that would make them less productive than them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Technically they seem to be way behind the big ones concerning coating technology. At least at first sight that would make them less productive than them.
    The bigger they come the bigger they fall. Maybe if all other companies abandoned or go out of business and they are the only producer, they could succeed.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. Especially as productivity is related to volume. The high productivity of the big ones was coupled to high volumes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That they are less productive than the big ones is the main reason they have survived.

Could they do it by tomorrow? Probably not. Could they do it profitably? That would depend on us. Would they do it? Another question entirely.

But merely speculating could they—with apologies to Nike—Just Do It? Given sufficient time, resources, market, will?

I dunno'. Maybe? I wouldn't bet against it.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look how quickly the black-and-white user base migrated over to Harman. Migrated even away from the staggeringly high-quality (remaining) choices available from Kodak, et al. Why did that happen? Because of the perception of stability. A perceived guarantee——or as much of a guarantee as one can give these days—of reliable, high-quality product availability into the future.

Do you think that same phenomenon might also happen if they someday introduced a quality color offering? And for exactly the same reasons?

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    I tend to worry. I don't think there is a future for analog colour materials so I really wouldn't want to see a great B&W manufacturer anywhere near it.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin