Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,045   Online: 900

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Go back to Ken's post. It's not as cheap as it was - but it isn't exactly fine dining prices. Still affordable - but not if you want to shoot 20 rolls of crap.
    That post was about B&W and also about re-branded "cheaper" film like Arista, totally different than portra or ektar or Velvia or Provia which are 2-3 times as much as their B&W counterparts... And the chemistry is who can even count how much more if you compare say Rodinal to a Fuji E-6 kit.

Color film is certainly fine dining prices...

Anyway as I said that was sort of a different topic and my question was addressed to PE

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, my DR is not made of gingerbread. I chose poor wording on that. Sorry.

And, someone here yesterday talked of Kodak or Fuji film going for 1 pound per roll which they said was about $1.50. I should have incorporated that quote and now I have lost it.

I too have had a summer bug for a while but I keep typing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Color film is certainly fine dining prices...
    Actually, that post was intended by me to be a bigger-picture post that encompassed all types of film, and the constant clamor for ever-cheaper prices no matter what the eventual cost or outcome.

While I am sensitive to the relative nature of terms such as "cheap" and "expensive" as applied to each individual photographer's financial situation, I also realize that those terms, and their ripple effects, apply to the manufacturing side of the transaction as well.

What we may complain about as being too expensive, to the manufacturing side may be as rock-bottom cheap as they can go. Any cheaper, and they suffer a real risk of crashing and burning. And then we end up with no film at all.

Regardless of whether one liked their film products or not, Mirko's point was: Think Efke...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    In what universe, where, are those two [Fuji and Kodak] selling color film at a low price....
    In my universe.

Here in my small town I can get fresh Kodak-and Fuji-made films for $ 1.

They are rebranded though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In my universe.

Here in my small town I can get fresh Kodak-and Fuji-made films for $ 1.

They are rebranded though.
    Right that only proves my point, if they can afford to sell it to someone else at a price where the rebrander of film can still make a profit on a $1 film, then Kodak and Fuji are certainly price gouging the market...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Actually, that post was intended by me to be a bigger-picture post that encompassed all types of film, and the constant clamor for ever-cheaper prices no matter what the eventual cost or outcome.

While I am sensitive to the relative nature of terms such as "cheap" and "expensive" as applied to each individual photographer's financial situation, I also realize that those terms, and their ripple effects, apply to the manufacturing side of the transaction as well.

What we may complain about as being too expensive, to the manufacturing side may be as rock-bottom cheap as they can go. Any cheaper, and they suffer a real risk of crashing and burning. And then we end up with no film at all.

Regardless of whether one liked their film products or not, Mirko's point was: Think Efke...

Ken
    I get this, and I don't buy rebranded (I did a trade for some recently but that wasn't because I wanted the film as much as I wanted to get rid of the stuff I had. Lol) but I certainly think for color films, they've gone a bit batty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    ...given that UK Poundland can sell Kodak and Agfa 35mm color neg at £1 per roll (= $1.50 ) presumably at a worthwhile profit, it would seem there would be a reasonable return.
    The Poundland stock will almost certainly have been sold at a loss to the manufacturer, (Agfa is rebranded Fujicolor 200). It was only available because, presumably, Agfa want out of colour print film and needed to dispose of the remainder to free up expensive storage space. When the supply of 36 exposure film runs out, as it seems to have already done, it's most unlikely we'll see any more. There are a few 24 exposure films left and when that's gone, I'd bet on that being it for cheap film. Poundland will be making a healthy profit but film isn't core business to them, they've simply seen a temporary opportunity.

Ilford would be crazy to get into colour film. If it's not profitable for a company like Fuji who have the infrastructure, expertise and manpower in place, it certainly isn't going to be viable for a profit driven company like Harman Ilford to build from scratch. It's more likely that colour negative stock will disappear completely if the current producers pull out. The best chance for its survival is if an operation like Lomography guarantee substantial orders to keep production rolling. An Impossible Project style operation on colour negative film is exceedingly unlikely because of the scale of investment required. All in all, it's not looking good for colour negative or positive film in the medium to long term.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    profit on a $1 film, then Kodak and Fuji are certainly price gouging the market...
    I don't know about price gouging. They do have to make a buck. I suppose they figure with the actual Kodak name on it it's worth a little more.

I can buy a 135 roll of Ektar for $4.99. Kodak 400 is $2.09. A 4 roll package of Fuji 200 is $6.99. That's not expensive and it's not rebranded.

TMax 400 is $4.95. OK ADOX Silvermax is $7.99. But that's a specialty film and it's still not expensive.

Most of Fuji's color negative films ARE outrageous - unless you're buying the generic stuff at Walmart. Portra 400 at $40 for a 5 pack is expensive.

As far as buying Kodak film at Poundland, it would be great to find Kodak film available on the shelf anywhere in my area at a decent price.*

(Kodak and Fuji prices from Amazon, except Fuji prices from Walmart. Adox pricing from Freestyle)

* Yes, I know, CVS sells Kodak films but their pricing is absurd.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thoughts:
    * Color film and Black and White film are cheaper than a cup of Starbucks coffee.
    * Right now, ANY E-6 is better than Kodak E-6.

Oh, and the young versus old thing... A Young bull and an Old bull are standing at the top of a hill looking down at a herd of cows...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Oh, and the young versus old thing... A Young bull and an Old bull are standing at the top of a hill looking down at a herd of cows...
    No shit?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin