Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,838   Online: 784

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What are "AZO mineral pigments"?
    Or is there a comma missing?
    AFAIK, there are no minerals involved. These are straight AZO dyes. You can metallize some Azo dyes though so Cuba/Ilford may have begun using them lately.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Lets put it this way, I see things in a very black and white way.
    I could not be more satisfied with that deliciously ambiguous response...

Best regards,
    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

R&D got to love them...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    HMMMPF!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've often thought that there's probably no more tedious job with the most exquisitely slow progress that R & D. Seems like you'd have to have the patience of Job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Roger,

I always enjoy your balanced and fair posts, carbon Yes but regarding the 'comparison' between CIBACHROME using AZO mineral pigments and any inkjet ink and media combination from any manufacturer I believe 100% what would last and what would not. But we should leave it at that and hopefully have the opportunity to debate it sometime in the future in person, but with the universal mediator of beer being present......

On a lighter note I remember very early in the 90's when we were looking at polymer type coatings for early continuous inkjet printers ( made by IRIS in the USA ) our director of R&D gave us a big presentation....all very exciting.... then someone asked about the image longevity ( meaning fading ) he looked skyward and said 'in direct sunlight it will fade by about 50% by wednesday, but to be fair I'm not absolutely sure if thats this wednesday or next wednesday.....'

R&D got to love them...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Ok,, granted, I should have said something like "even the best ink jet prints, if the current advertising claims are to be believed."

And I'll gladly buy the first round if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Atlanta, GA. My wife and I have meant to get over the pond ever since I proposed in a supposedly French restaurant that inexplicably didn't have espresso and promised to get espresso in Europe on our honeymoon - but she decided spending more money on the perfect wedding venue was more important right away and Europe and the Isles could wait a while longer.

However, I do believe that modern ink jet materials are vastly superior in permanence to those of just a few years ago. Meaning it might be next year instead of next week, maybe?

Oh, and while I understand the desire to have a company as sound as Harman and with such responsiveness to the community step in and rescue color, I tend to side with those who say "stick to black and white" because you do it so well. If Harman could do color profitably, without risk to the company and the continued availability of the wonderful black and white materials we have now, I'd be all for it, but I'm among those skeptical of this being possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I've often thought that there's probably no more tedious job with the most exquisitely slow progress that R & D. Seems like you'd have to have the patience of Job.
    It is a very rewarding job and lots of fun, really. And to have the thrill of seeing one of the first 400 speed or 1000 speed films? And, to know you had something to do with one of them?

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inkjet??

Get a rope.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Inkjet??

Get a rope.
    I didn't say they were good or I liked 'em. I said they now last a long time and the advertising claims, at least, put that life time longer than Ciba (or black and white, even.) Of course we know such claims have never been exaggerated or just plain wrong...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the inkjet folks are now claiming longer life than metallic silver gelatin papers? What will they think of next... I don't buy it for a second.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    So the inkjet folks are now claiming longer life than metallic silver gelatin papers? What will they think of next... I don't buy it for a second.
    Me either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin