Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,534   Online: 1146

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1519202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    So the inkjet folks are now claiming longer life than metallic silver gelatin papers? What will they think of next... I don't buy it for a second.
    The new "ink" in the highest end consumer canon printers uses pigment instead if ink, they are supposed to be fairly string willed against fading.

The regular ink on the other hand fades, I know because they have faded on my earlier prints given to my mother, in a room not well lit. It's sad.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 'pigment' itself is an extremely broad term. Just because something is pigment based does not mean it is archive-stable for 100+ years - it just means it isn't primarily dye based. They use pigments in paint. Ever seen paint fade? Of course you have.

I'll take the noble metal option (Ag), please.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The new "ink" in the highest end consumer canon printers uses pigment instead if ink, they are supposed to be fairly string willed against fading.

The regular ink on the other hand fades, I know because they have faded on my earlier prints given to my mother, in a room not well lit. It's sad.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is also the ink/paper combination you use too.

Shooter
    35mm
    With Ferrania possibly re-entering the film manufacturing market (including E6), there seems even less point in Ilford/Harman getting involved with colour.

On a totally different subject, but as it's been brought into this thread, it does sadden me when people go on about there being little manufacturing in the UK today.There isn't as much as here used to be, but it still plays a major part in the economy. Even vehicle manufacture is thriving - there are at least 3 Japanese car plants here (Toyota, Nissen & Honda), plus the BMW owned Mini plants (all very successful), lots of niche car makers - Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Morgan, Aston-Martin, Jaguar and of course Land Rover (sadly mostly foreign owned). A recent "Top Gear" TV programme brought together all of these & the other vehicle manufacturers with UK plants eg buses, tractors, JCB's, fire engines etc etc, with a huge display in London. There are companies making components, drug manufacturing companies, photographic goods (Harman, Kodak, Paterson, Secol etc) and much more - the list is endless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Brac,

I saw it as well.....without getting on my soap box, which I will not, manufacturing (making things ) is vitally important for all economies, big and small, growing or declining.

We may not do it the cheapest in the UK / Europe and North America... but do you know what I think we do it best....still...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    With Ferrania possibly re-entering the film manufacturing market (including E6), there seems even less point in Ilford/Harman getting involved with colour.

On a totally different subject, but as it's been brought into this thread, it does sadden me when people go on about there being little manufacturing in the UK today.There isn't as much as here used to be, but it still plays a major part in the economy. Even vehicle manufacture is thriving - there are at least 3 Japanese car plants here (Toyota, Nissen & Honda), plus the BMW owned Mini plants (all very successful), lots of niche car makers - Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Morgan, Aston-Martin, Jaguar and of course Land Rover (sadly mostly foreign owned). A recent "Top Gear" TV programme brought together all of these & the other vehicle manufacturers with UK plants eg buses, tractors, JCB's, fire engines etc etc, with a huge display in London. There are companies making components, drug manufacturing companies, photographic goods (Harman, Kodak, Paterson, Secol etc) and much more - the list is endless.
    Plus, most Formula One teams are based in the UK, building the coolest cars around!

Ilford should sponsor McLaren!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, we have a choice here of using petroleum products for car racing or using them for making fine organic chemicals for making analog film.

Since oil is becoming scarce, the prices are going up and up.

So, which do we want most!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, we have a choice here of using petroleum products for car racing or using them for making fine organic chemicals for making analog film.

Since oil is becoming scarce, the prices are going up and up.

So, which do we want most!

PE
    You are misinformed PE. Oil is not becoming scarce. There was a recent interview with Saudi Arabia's chief oil minister. He expressed serious concern (for his country) that the US, yes, the United States, will over take Saudi Arabia in oil production in the next 3 years or so. That would mean production of over 9.5 million barrels of oil, PER DAY.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    You are misinformed PE. Oil is not becoming scarce. There was a recent interview with Saudi Arabia's chief oil minister. He expressed serious concern (for his country) that the US, yes, the United States, will over take Saudi Arabia in oil production in the next 3 years or so. That would mean production of over 9.5 million barrels of oil, PER DAY.
    FACT : If Oil is not becoming scarce then the price would be falling.

I COULD your read your post as an indication that as Saudi Arabia's oil production is in decline. Be careful how you read things. You need to look at all the facts. PE said that "prices are going up ". Well we all know that is very true. How much were you paying for a gallon of gas when Clinton was in office? Price is driven by supply AND demand. China has more than doubled their oil use in their period. Oil production has not kept up with world wide demand. Even if supply goes up but demand goes up MORE the price will not fall.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 08-09-2013 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    FACT : If Oil is not becoming scarce then the price would be falling.

I COULD your read your post as an indication that as Saudi Arabia's oil production is in decline. Be careful how you read things. You need to look at all the facts. PE said that "prices are going up ". Well we all know that is very true. How much were you paying for a gallon of gas when Clinton was in office? Price is driven by supply AND demand. China has more than doubled their oil use in their period. Oil production has not kept up with world wide demand. Even if supply goes up but demand goes up MORE the price will not fall.
    The price of oil is far more than a simple supply vs demand equation. Politics is an enormous part of it. Oil production is increasing and at a rate almost unthinkable a short time ago. Something that is scarce becomes hard to find, such as Provia 400X.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin