Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,178   Online: 897

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182223242526272829303132 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gas prices are about ready to collapse. Fracking has made a whole new level of supply available. The US, or rather North Dakota, is about ready to become one of the largest net exporters of oil in the world. It sucks if the well is in your backyard and you don't own the mineral rights. Deal with it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, that story sounds incorrect.
    As mentioned already, it was probably because of buying it wholesale. If the vehicle goes on the road it has have road taxes paid on its fuel. An exception is machines that are not normally driven on roads and cannot registered as road-going vehicles, like farm machinery and most construction equipment.
    I have bought both gasoline and diesel from suppliers, and did not have to pay road taxes on either for my operations. However, I always paid retail for the gas even though it was used in small mowers and golf carts, because it always seemed that the owner or their kid would decide to just fill up at the tank instead of in town at the station. The thing is, because of delivery charges on the relatively small quantities, the price per gallon was higher than at the station, so I always filled up the work truck in town.

Diesel for machines that are for off-highway use, like mowers, backhoes, etc., was always purchased wholesale. The diesel was dyed red, and if a road-going vehicle like a dump truck or water truck had it in its tank and was stopped on the road and checked, it was a $1,000 fine. I had fully taxed diesel in drums for the diesel pickup truck we had, and got into arguments with guys not under my direction who didn't want to hassle with the hand pump on the drums until I started insisting that my workers always padlock the big tanks after filling a machine and return the keys to me.
    It really tweaked 'em.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-11-2013 at 03:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Gas prices are about ready to collapse.
    Your opinion, here is another.
    http://peak-oil.org/2013/05/looking-back-at-peak-oil/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Definitely an opinion, by a group which is clearly not unbiased. The first statement, that Peak Oil was reached in 2012, raised my BS defenses immediately.
    Maybe that's a conclusion, but it's not verifiable fact. There have been other claims of what peak oil production would be, and when it would be reached, which were not factual.
    Not saying they're wrong, just saying they may well not be right, IMO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I totally agree. It is just and opinion. I read both sides and draw my own conclusions. But a writing, "Gas prices are about ready to collapse" raised my BS defenses immediately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^I'm with ya.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fracking makes me so angry, I can't believe no one has shut that down already, it's one of the most dangerous things we could possibly be doing to our ecosystem and our own citizens, it pollutes the water, the air, and might actually be affecting the tectonic plates in a way as well (I say might because I'm not clear on that part). Mark Ruffalo explained it to me once but I can't remember that part.

Either way, it's really bad news... Instead of investing in tracking we should be investing in solar and wind energy,Germany did it, and they don't exactly live in the most sunny area of the world, I just don't understand this moronic American mentality of not caring about what we are doing to ourselves and the planet... Sorry had to rant, it gets me all fired up...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Stone, that story sounds incorrect.
    As mentioned already, it was probably because of buying it wholesale. If the vehicle goes on the road it has have road taxes paid on its fuel. An exception is machines that are not normally driven on roads and cannot registered as road-going vehicles, like farm machinery and most construction equipment.
    I have bought both gasoline and diesel from suppliers, and did not have to pay road taxes on either for my operations. However, I always paid retail for the gas even though it was used in small mowers and golf carts, because it always seemed that the owner or their kid would decide to just fill up at the tank instead of in town at the station. The thing is, because of delivery charges on the relatively small quantities, the price per gallon was higher than at the station, so I always filled up the work truck in town.

Diesel for machines that are for off-highway use, like mowers, backhoes, etc., was always purchased wholesale. The diesel was dyed red, and if a road-going vehicle like a dump truck or water truck had it in its tank and was stopped on the road and checked, it was a $1,000 fine. I had fully taxed diesel in drums for the diesel pickup truck we had, and got into arguments with guys not under my direction who didn't want to hassle with the hand pump on the drums until I started insisting that my workers always padlock the big tanks after filling a machine and return the keys to me.
    It really tweaked 'em.
    Hmm, wonder if it had something to do with zoning regulations and I just interpreted it as "the man keeping him down" haha, it's possible... Lol

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    They're talking 30 years, I'm talking 5. So both are possible and valid. Having been in the oil business, I know that all predictions are simply wild-ass guesses.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want my opinion, you should be investing in nuclear power.

As a photography enthusiast, you should see how wind turbines wreck pristine natural areas and landscapes.

Wind and solar cannot deliver base load power. They are token symbols only. Just exactly how many wind turbines would they need to deliver base load power?

You'll see these issues crop up with Germany, because of that, they don't really have anything to replace nuclear power with. Unless it's back to fossil fuel, like coal, which is stupid, because not only can nuclear provide base load power, it also is clean, and saves lives (unlike coal power).

Yet they want to build 26 new coal plants (iirc). Wind and solar is meaningless, especially when they planning to transition back to coal.

Germany import more electricity than they produce themselves already. This is just a disaster waiting to happen.

In 2010 they produced 1528 TWh (vs 3807 TWh of consumption iirc), in 2010, Wind Power produced in Germany was a piddling 37.793 TWh.

I've been stating for years, that wind power is a dead end. Wind power is not free energy, it comes from kinetic energy from the movement of air in the atmosphere. What exactly, is movement of air in the atmosphere responsible for?

The Hallett Wind Farm allegedly produces 0.165 TWh, the land area required is 18.64km^2

So if we can assume about ~113 km^2 per TWh produced. The required land area to satisfy Germany's energy consumption in 2010, is more land area then the entire country (120% of their land area).

And obviously not every area is a good area (as not every area is going to be windy enough), plus if you just have a massive cluster like that, the turbines surrounded by other turbines won't be nearly as effective. Plus what will happen to the weather?
    Last edited by Athiril; 08-12-2013 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin