Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, one more thing: if your only motivation is cost, you might not want to do it yourself, unless you are very efficient with using your chemicals. You can achieve much lower costs than a lab, but it does assume you aren't throwing away unused chemistry (like working solution that has expired before you got to use it), and the jobo numbers assume you are using jobo volumes of chemistry. Those volumes are the minimums required to get full film coverage, but may not be sufficient to provide adequate chemical processing for the amount of film in the drum (the square footage of film).

I think your motivation for home film processing should be based on your enhanced ability to control the process (you get to decide how much to push/pull, and you get to decide what chemistry to use, including brewing your own). Also, doing it yourself means you get the film back faster than the typical lab can return it.

Oh, and as a bonus you can do your prints in the same machine (not at the same time of course!).

But you probably won't match the lab's fiscal efficiency unless you do careful planning.

-chuck
    Last edited by chuck94022; 02-07-2005 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: meant to say "unused chemistry"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Many thanks for the additional repsonses. Apologies for not responding sooner. My website hosting has changed and all APUG emails are being bounced, so no thread activity alert received.

I am still looking, UK used market is currently nearly all CPE2 bar one overpriced example each of ATL1000 and 1500. I shall not buy until I am sure. I would expect this to be a buyers market, certainly in the long term where small pro outfits decide to offload their asset since they are so happy with their digital workflow........

The CPP2 plus lift would seem to be good (thanks Stan). I must resolve myself to stand around to do each stage manually, which is a key decision for 200 sheets a year. An automated machine would be more consistent than myself, certainly initially. With young children in the house, I sometimes have to leave comfort of kitchen sink (where I do my B+W dev!) to attend to their seemingly, more urgent needs!

It is not just absolute cost of processing per sheet which is driving this. I need to be able to ensure that I can meet quality and consistency standards but have convenience of having this facility on demand without a half day excursion. Transport of film to lab is 36 mile round trip, plus wait, (or be subjected to the vaguaries of UK postal system) allied to fears that local Lab will stop service. Realise that latter is somewhat chicken and egg!

Water in the reels warning noted, have similar problem with Paterson ones for my B+W, so always dry first. I shall only be using the machine for Film.

Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if you alraedy checked this shop, but they have a Jobo ATL2000 at 440 pounds.

http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/...arch=&sought=1

I have used them in the past (I gor my CPE2Plus from them) and the items are of good quality and as described. The also sell C41 and E6 kits.

One more thing. If you go for the CPE2 get the one with the lift. It makes the workflow so much easier.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin